What tank size?

wafsman

Reefing newb
So I been doing lots of research, and after extensive studying of liveaquaria's compatibility chart I have come up with a list of fish that should all work really well together.

I was planning on using a 40g long, but was curious as to what would be the proper size tank for the stock list I have come up with. Also maybe the option of what would have to be eliminated to fit into a 40g long.

Now it's probably helpful to know that this stocking list was built around having the Mandarin, I then went through the chart and found every fish compatible with the Mandarin, then eliminated which ones from that list would not get along with everyone else. Also not sure about what order to put them into the tank, I believe the Mandarin will probably go in last though, cause I plan to only put one fish per month into the tank, maybe with the exception of the Cardinals and the Chromis, probably add the 2 Cardinals one month and the 2 Chromis another month. Anyways, thanks in advance for all you help.

Green Mandarin
Ignitus Anthias
2 Banggai Cardinals
2 Green Chromis
Ocellaris Clownfish
Purple Firefish
Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby
Black Cap Jawfish
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

I think you'll have too many fish in a 40g if you add all of those. SW is different from FW the 1" for 1 gallon rule doesn't work with SW. Do you plan on having a sump or refug? It is very difficult to keep a mandarin with out having a refug to grow the live food required. Mandarins are notoriously picky eaters. Since you're already planning on getting that last you should wait for ORA to release their tank bred mandarins

For what you got listed,I think a 125 would be about perfect.
But if your heart is set on the 40,then drop the mandrine and the anthias.
The Anthias need more room to swim and the mandrine wont be able to compete with the wrasse of the natural foods ( pods ).

In considering the size of your tank --take into account how much time you have in your life. A 200G will take a lot of time, a 10G or 20G won't.

no, heart not set on the 40, it's set on the mandarin. so if i were to do a 125 or maybe a 180, would i be able to add a Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang and 2 Blue Chromis to my stock list?

like what? like i said the main thing that we want is the green mandarin, so what would you all do if that was the main fish to work around and you had a 125 or 180?

Go as big as you can fit in your budget and your house..It will cost more to set up obviously but it's going to open up an entire new line of livestock that you can keep. Once you get into the hundred gallon club you're going to have the option to keep fish that get fairly large and are really colorful. I have a 90g...If I were to do it over again tomorrow I'd go with at least a 125g-150g.

A good rule of thumb is 1 fish per 10 gallons of tank size. So for a 40 gallon tank, you are looking at being able to keep 4 or 5 fish, max.

Go as big as you can fit in your budget and your house..It will cost more to set up obviously but it's going to open up an entire new line of livestock that you can keep. Once you get into the hundred gallon club you're going to have the option to keep fish that get fairly large and are really colorful. I have a 90g...If I were to do it over again tomorrow I'd go with at least a 125g-150g.

I second this quote. I have a 55 and If I could afford it I would upgrade to atleast a 125.

so i gather that bigger is better, but as the 40g is already here and i won't be able to go any bigger for a while, would the following list work in my 40?

Green Mandarin
Banggai Cardinals
Green Chromis
Ocellaris Clownfish
Purple Firefish
Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby

Only in the begining.
Once the tank matures,the up-keep will kinda even out.Especially if do a little bit every couple of days.
I agree,i think the bigger the tank the more margin for error,as people like to say.I would go 125+...I transfered to a 125 from a 75 about a year and half ago and could'nt be happier(well id be happier with a 500 in wall)...As for fish,get a nice looking angel a tang or 2 and a trigger and wrasse or tusk...

I suggest you keep the 40 and use it as a sump. I agree that the bigger the tank, the wider range of fish you can get, and more room for mistakes. In a small tank, there's less water so more likelihood of parameter swings in the water.

Back