What the h*ll is this?

Sux@maintenance

Reefing newb
I bought this button polyp colony early on in my tanks life. The polyps were eaten by a box snail (I didn't know to remove). I am starting to see a polyp through the chia pet like growth. I may have it too low in the tank but I have 2 400w MH. The presence of sponge may prove me wrong on this. What is the green growth? It isn't hair algae I have plenty of that I can compare it too. Any ideas how to fix this or is it even a problem.

Attachments

• Wide shot of wierd plant:algae.jpg
    Wide shot of wierd plant:algae.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 304
  • close shot of coral.jpg
    close shot of coral.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 316
Looks like Bryopsis. Its one of the mroe challenging algaes to deal with. I had it and I attacked it early before it got out of control. I turned off flow, dug or scraped it out of LR then suctioned it out with turkey baster. Followed with immediate 40% water change. Ultimatley the only way to really --completely-- get rid of it is to get nitrates and especially phospahtes down to zero.

On your next water change,take that rock and scrub all the algae you can off.Take your time get every little shoot of the bryopsis that you can.Then when you see it trying to come back,pick it off.It'll probably take several weeks of manual removal to get rid of it.

If the bryposis is isolated to that one rock, just take the rock out and deal with it. No need to toss it. Either do as Yote said or let it dry out completely, or boil it.

what yote and biff said.

remove it and let it dry out!. You don't want to unleash bryopsis into your tank. I also dealt with it in my 850 and that was no fun, my rabbits finally decided to munch on it (after I put them on a diet)

Do a controlled Burn.... Light a small patch of it (farthest away in the direction the wind is blowing) and burn it off...

:-) :-)

J/K, Good Luck!

Do a controlled Burn.... Light a small patch of it (farthest away in the direction the wind is blowing) and burn it off...

:-) :-)

J/K, Good Luck!

Already tryed that,it didnt work.The bryopsis grew better AFTER it was burned:frustrat:

Back