what the he!! are these?!?!

Doc

I don't work for anybody
I have noticed that these things are spreading all over my rocks and sand. Any idea what they are?

P6280020.jpg

P6280021.jpg

P6280022.jpg

They are almost square. they are brownish / reddish and they are pissing me off. Also, ideas about getting rid of them. Thanks in advance.

-Doc

Wow, what wonderfully focused pics you have provided us to ensure that this ID goes as easily and as smoothly as possible!!!

:D

But seriously, I can't tell from your pics. If I had to guess I'd say flatworms.

Those my friend are know as flat worms,and you got one hell of population of em.
I would say to use some flat worm exit,but with many,it would kill everything in your tank.
Some my advice is to try to find a wrasse that will eat them.Something along the lines of a coris wrasse.It'd also be a good idea to siphon out as many of em as you can.Cause when they die,they release toxins.

How on earth did you let it get that bad???

Yote is right that certain wrasses will eat them, but with how many you've got in there, you'd need a school of wrasses. I think it's just too much for one fish to handle. Maybe a combination of flatworm exit, manual removal and a wrasse.

Go with manual removal first.like I posted up top,they release toxins when they die.That many dying at once will probably kill everything you got in the tank.

hmmm. How to respond.... Oh yeah... Shit!

I gave never seen a flat worm before and never had an outbreak. Thanks foe the ID. I guess I will start siphoning them out to start. Dammit

-doc

I would not get a six line mine does not eat them. I had them really bad like you. I suctioned mine out for weeks. I finally ended up using flatworm exit. Before I did I suctioned out as many as I could. So I followed the directions. They said it takes up to a half hour to start to dye but mine started as soon as I put it in. You could see them comming out of the LR from all directions. I started suctioning them out and put charcoal in. I had so many that they were floating all over hanging by strings like. I was freaking because they were dying faster then I could get them out. To make a long story short. All my coals and fish made it withno problem. I did retreat my tank a second time to get any that got away but got none. I haven't seen any since. So if I do I'm going to treat my tank right away. I took it as a lesson learned.

so here is my question. if doc never had a problem with it before, why the outbreak. how did they just explode out of nowhere?

the flatworms are in the reef tank. The reason they got so bad was that I didnt know what they were. I just assumed they were a weird algae. I figured they would just go away. Oops

-Doc

Back