what the heck is this? ID please :)

MalR

Reefing newb
We added 10 pounds live Figi rock to our month old 55 gal a couple days ago, and just discovered this "hiding" in one of the holes.... It's kinda clear-ish and round-ish. There's some indents on the surface that keeps it from being perfectly round. Could this be some type of egg maybe??
wtf.jpg

TIA!

Is it the thing towards the bottom right? or that dark spot right in the middle? Does it have tentacles? Is it moving?

It's that brown thing in the middle. Best way I can describe it is it looks like a translucent blob.... It's mostly round but with some wrinkling/dimpling in the surface... It kinda looks like a big, clear, egg. But is that even possible?? No tentacles that we could see...

Hrm...beej might be right...could be bubble algae. If it is, do NOT pop it! It will spread its spores all over the tank and they're a PITA to get rid of. If you can, take the rock out carefully and scrub it off if it hasn't popped.

But google bubble algae to see if it is.

Nope, not bubble algae, and things just got weird... There's now a piece of it missing, and, no joke, it looks like something hatched.....the piece thats missing is sitting on top of the rock...

ok, so now there's something white hanging out in the hole where the (maybe?) hatched egg is.... it's in a bad spot to see clearly, I'll try to get a pic when it moves more to where I can see it...

I HOPE it's something like a popped algae bubble, instead of some kind of freaky creepy-crawly!! lol. I'll keep an eye on that white thing... it's moving, but still not to where I can see what it is...

Hmm, space alien, bad algae...shoot could be anything.......Can you get it out or off the rock? To me when in doubt I get it out.

Well, whatever it was, the hermits found it. I came down this morning and they were swarming the hole and everything was gone. :grumble:

My hermits are on the front lines of the alien invasion resistance ;)

Back