What the heck would YOU do? Cracked tank

hebbah

Reefing newb
Hello to all,

We finally received our beautiful 50G acrylic tank 2 days ago but when I opened the box today the tank was cracked. It is a tank with a false back wall behind which you can house all the heaters, skimmers etc. and it is this false wall that is cracked some at the top. The very top of the tank has a acrylic top of which a small part is cracked as well. All the other walls and the bottom look fine.
When I called Petsmart they said I could ship it back to them (at their expense) and they would ship me a new one (4-6 weeks for it to arrive) or they could give me a 10% discount and I could keep this tank.
What should I do? I already have my live sand because I was going to set it all up tonight and for some stupid reason I did not think about checking the tank to see if it was fine. So now I am worried that the sand will be dead by the time I get a new tank. On the other hand 10% seems kind pitiful given that we now own a $500 cracked tank.
What do you think?

Re: What would you do? Cracked tank

I would get another fish tank or bucket that is clean and put saltwater in it. then put the live sand in it. Put a heater and a small filter with no filter padding in it.

send the tank back and when the next one arrives the standard procedure of getting a tank shipped to you is to inspect it throughly before you except the package. and also is the sand in a bag or is it established live sand that you bought out of someone else's tank?

Send it back. That's waaaaaay too much money to spend on a cracked tank. Your live sand should be fine as long as you keep it wet (with saltwater). You could go buy a plastic tub at walmart, dump the sand it, and pour just enough saltwater in it to keep it damp. Then the sand will be fine.

What a pain. I'm sorry this happened, that majorly sucked. But if you try to silicone it back together, it's probably not going to look very nice, and the integrity of the tank has already been compromised, which will make future cracking even more likely to happen.

PS -- the title of this thread immediately reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite.

Don: Hey, Napoleon. What did you do last summer again?
Napoleon Dynamite: I told you! I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!
Don: Did you shoot any?
Napoleon Dynamite: Yes, like 50 of 'em! They kept trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?

Thanks so much for all of your advice!! Yes, it really does majorly suck!!! I was so excited :( But I think all of your advice is correct, so I called Petsmart and they issued a reship. I asked the lady if they could speed the whole thing up a bit and she is going to try to accomplish that. I will put the sand in some buckets with saltwater. Thanks so much for ALL the great advice I have gotten so far.

PS -- the title of this thread immediately reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite.

Don: Hey, Napoleon. What did you do last summer again?
Napoleon Dynamite: I told you! I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!
Don: Did you shoot any?
Napoleon Dynamite: Yes, like 50 of 'em! They kept trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?

You are too funny!!!! I have another friend here that can also quote Napolean Dynamite (and a whole bunch of other weird moives) by heart!
Makes me feel quite at home :)

Wow....I just watched Napoleon Dynamite again today on E! hehehe. I love that movie.

send the tank back and when the next one arrives the standard procedure of getting a tank shipped to you is to inspect it throughly before you except the package. and also is the sand in a bag or is it established live sand that you bought out of someone else's tank?

Sometimes it's hard to inspect before accepting a shipment, because they usually drop them off at the door whether you're home or not. I usually open my door and OOO! New package sitting in my front step. Unless the shipment requires a signature (which from all my shopping experience never needed), they just drop it off with a quick knock on the door.

LOL! Nice one, Biff. :lol:

And I agree with everyone else. Waiting sucks, but that is way too much money for a cracked tank.

Also think of it this way. When/if it comes time to resell this tank, having a crack in it will drag the resale value wayyyy down. Then, not only did you pay a lot for a cracked tank, but you won't be able to recoup anywhere close to that amount because people generally will not buy a cracked used tank. You would have no problem selling a used uncracked tank though.

Yes, (silent grumble...) you are all so very correct in a responsible, grown-up sort of a way :) I am sending the thing back. This forum is awesome, thanks so much!

Hebbah,

That seems pricey for a 50g.
Any reason you are going with the seaclear (I assume) from Petsmart?

You could get one that size from glasscages for under 100 bucks. They could even drill it with overflows for you for a few bucks more.....

Just a thought. I am not certain where you are located or what your situation.
Maybe I'm just price spoiled in S. Florida where Aquarium goods are fairly cheap!

Good Luck either way! Sorry to hear about your problems.

It is an expensive tank but is is Acrylic (which I personally prefer) and the price includes the entire filter system, lighting and protein skimmer at which point it's not that bad...

Good decision on sending it back. Did you ask if you could return it to a Pet Smart in the area? Some companies will let you even if you ordered it online.

Back