What the #%$ is this?

rachekc

Reefing newb
Can someone tell me what this stringy (algae?) is? It started about a month ago and has seem to have gotten worse. I clean the tank and scoop out the strings which breaks apart very easily but the next morning it comes back. What is it? and How do I get rid of it?

0 Nitrites
8.0 pH
80ppm Nitrate
Alkalinity 120ppm
0 Ammonia
80.4 Temp.
SG 1.028

I run a single AI Hydra LED light that is programmed to run at 60% power.

20140603_183221_zps0ade963d.jpg

It really looks like a bacterial bloom. Your nitrates are pretty high. What is your water change routine? Are you using RO/DI water? Are you running a skimmer?

I do use RO/Di water and a skimmer although I would have to admit I do not have a change "routine" just change on a weekend if I have time and top off when needed. Do you think water changes and getting the nitrates down will get rid of it?

Water changes will help. Check your RO water too. Something happened to my membrane and I started getting algae like mad. With the new membrane and extra prefiltering I'm good now.

Hey just to update everyone on this algae.

I went to our local saltwater aquarium store and showed the guys there a picture of the algae. These guys are very good with aquariums and have always been a good source of knowledge for me. They immediately identified it a Dinoflagellates. They recommended adding SeaGel to my filter to remove the phosphates and silicates from the water. He also recommended cutting my lighting to 8 hours/day.

I will start an new thread on my light schedule and hope you can assist me.

Thank you for all your inputs, it is greatly appreciated.

Back