what to add

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So when I get home from vacation (to Puerto Rico Ringo) I will be adding quite a bit to the tank and I need your guys help. It won't be at all once either so don't fret.

First: Fish How many? I was thinking 2-3 or so around 3 inches each.

I want to get a sixline wrasse and I think a clown because my dad wants one and he's buying it. Any suggestions?

Second: Corals ( I have a 150 w halide)

What corals do you love? What ones grow at good rates?

I love ones that extend their tentacles when fed.

Third: Inverts

Skunk Cleaner or Fire shrimp?

Should I get peppermint also? If so how many?

Clams- What kind and can I place it in the substrate?

Any other cool inverts?

Fourth: Coral food

Currently I have Selcon, Rod's Food, and the Reef Nutrition's Phyto Feast

Suggestions?

Thanks for your time!!!

Last edited:
For the fish I would would stick with three or four all depending on what fish you want. I have a 30 and had four in it. A lawn mower blenny, 2 black clowns, and a coral beuaty, however, one clown died so I'm at three right now. If you want fish that stay smaller then you could get by with a few more, but that might also add to the bioload as well.

For corals.
How old is the tank? If it's new which I asume it is, I would start with softys and maybe a few LPS but wait till the tanks matured for atleast 2 months. I would not add any SPS till the tank has had stable perameters for atleast 6 to 8 months.

For inverts.
I can't recomend a shrimp because I have never owned one. In my tank I have a mixture of snails and hermits. Hermits can kill snail for their shell so supply them with new ones to grow into. You could also try a star after 2 months or so. If you want a star go for a brittle or serpent star, but stay away from the green brittle stars as they are notorius for killing fish. I learned that the hard way. Also stay away from sandsifting stars and linkas as they usually always die from lack of nutrition.

Coral food.
I used to dose my tank with DT'S phyto till I found it was adding too much unwanted nutrients to my tank so for the last year I have added nothing. I have all softies in my tank and they feed off the water, grow good, and I have no problems.

In addition to the clown and sixline.A dartfish,maybe a shrimp/goby pair.

Corals,I love acan lords and micromussas.Anything thats not brown.There's so many.Choose what you like best,heck you have the lights for them.

Get both skunk cleaner and fire shrimp.Only get peppermints if you start seeing aiptasias.

Food will depend on what fishes and other inverts-shrimps,crabs and snails.I feed seaweed sheets,formula two for the tangs.I've haven dozens of foods.My must haves is cyclops and mysis.

yea I love acans I'll see if I can pick some up

could I have a clown fish pair? or would they become too territorial with a sixline and maybe another fish in there?

Last edited:
A pair should be fine. I would add the sixline before they can become too teritorial though. Are you really going to vist Rigo?

Four smallish fish should be fine. Sixlines and clowns can be hit or miss when it comes to aggression. I think they'll be fine together, but there's a possibility that they will fight, too.

yea actually I think I won't get it because it's a far drive there

My dad wants to just start with one

Does it matter if I get a sixline or clown first? It depends on which they have I guess, maybe I'll be able to get both.

I don't think I ever seen a blue flasher wrasse before.If they are like other flashers,then one will do fine.I sometimes see wrasse pairs at the Den.You could be okay with a male/female pair of flashers.

That's the same as the fairy flasher wrasse, I think.

If you are going to get two clowns, add them at the same time. If you add one clown now then decide you want another one down the road, they may fight and not get along. But if you buy them as a pair, they are more likely to get along with each other. I would add the clowns first, then the sixline.

That's the same as the fairy flasher wrasse, I think.

If you are going to get two clowns, add them at the same time. If you add one clown now then decide you want another one down the road, they may fight and not get along. But if you buy them as a pair, they are more likely to get along with each other. I would add the clowns first, then the sixline.

Male and female wrasses are different as night and day.If you get a flasher wrasse,get a male/female pair or just a male.Sounds like the blue flasher would do good in your size system.

Add the flasher first,it will be the most skittish.Then the clowns and sixline.Percula/Ocellaris and skunk clowns stay relatively small.My choice would be a pair of black and white ocellaris.

Back