What to do as a regular maintenance to keep this system running good

minajaguar

Reefing newb
I am running a Fish only tank with normal rocks (not live), 30 gallon with air stone skimmer and small mechanical internal filter only .. light stocked ..
What to do as a regular maintenance to keep this system running good with controlling nitrate ....???

+1 everyone

also all live means is that it has a population of bacteria living on it that can process the wastes into less toxic chemicals, so all the rocks and sand you have in your tank are by definition, live :)

Regular maintenance for me:

Weekly scheduled water change of 15% done on Thursdays.

Every other week I install a clean filter sock. This means I run the sock for a week and run without it for a week. Cleaning is done in the washer using bleach only. Prior to installation the sock is soaked for an hour in RODI. Installed or removed on Thursdays.

Daily check of the skimmer cup. Cleaned as needed with Clorox wipes and rinsed in HOT tap water.

Daily check of ATO reservoir. Usually needs to be refilled every 5 days AND I top it off on Thursday.

Clean the inside glass with Mag Float with scraper. Clean the outside glass with Windex wipes. Wednesdays.

NEW: Agitated sand bed due to MY PARTICULAR ISSUES. Wednesday.

Empty, clean and refill Phosban reactor every 3rd water change.

Empty and clean Phosban CARBON reactor if used. I run this unit about once a month to "polish" the water. Its been two months since its been used though. But if your running one, put it on your schedule!

Water testing: Tuesday afternoon I check for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, Calcium, phosphates and KH, as well as SG. I make adjustments to my water mixing if needed.

Wednesday Mix water is transferred into WC system. New water is is mixed and placed into the mixing container. I mix my water one week in advance and make the new mix the same day. When I transfer it to the WC system (15 gallon container with pump and heater) I prep it by double checking the SG and heating it to the same temp as the tank.

Daily once over of the tank beyond just enjoying looking at it. In the morning I feed, check my lights, check for leaks or anything out of the odrinary. I count the fish, take a good look at the corals. Double check the temp in the AM too.

All of this seems like a lot, but actually, once you get on a set schedule its no big deal. Water changes take me about 15 minutes. Thats including preparing new water. Filling the ATO, about 5 minutes. Cleaning the skimmer cup or glass, about 2 minutes.

Every month I clean a power head. I have 3 so they get cleaned every 3 months. Every 3 months I disassemble the skimmer and give it a top to bottom cleaning. Same goes for the return pump. (I just did this Saturday!) It was suggested that I drain and pull the sump every six months and give it a good cleaning. I may opt not to do this since I have converted the center section to a Fuge.

It was suggested that I drain and pull the sump every six months and give it a good cleaning. I may opt not to do this since I have converted the center section to a Fuge.

I don't think you need to do this. Gunk and detritus does tend to get deposited on the bottom of the sump, but you can suck it out using a turkey baster or a powerhead attached to some tubing during your water changes, and that would take care of it.

All right Iam not rich and I have two expensive hobbies ( skydiving- saltwater aquarium) where is the best place to buy dry rock,and is there like a classifieds for salwater stuff like lights and other stuff. Thanks

Best place to buy dry rocks is marcorocks.com. As for classifieds, check your local Craig's List; there isn't really anything organized for saltwater stuff. Also, you will have better results if you start your own threads -- more people will see them and answer them.

Regular maintenance for me:

Weekly scheduled water change of 15% done on Thursdays.

Every other week I install a clean filter sock. This means I run the sock for a week and run without it for a week. Cleaning is done in the washer using bleach only. Prior to installation the sock is soaked for an hour in RODI. Installed or removed on Thursdays.

Daily check of the skimmer cup. Cleaned as needed with Clorox wipes and rinsed in HOT tap water.

Daily check of ATO reservoir. Usually needs to be refilled every 5 days AND I top it off on Thursday.

Clean the inside glass with Mag Float with scraper. Clean the outside glass with Windex wipes. Wednesdays.

NEW: Agitated sand bed due to MY PARTICULAR ISSUES. Wednesday.

Empty, clean and refill Phosban reactor every 3rd water change.

Empty and clean Phosban CARBON reactor if used. I run this unit about once a month to "polish" the water. Its been two months since its been used though. But if your running one, put it on your schedule!

Water testing: Tuesday afternoon I check for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, Calcium, phosphates and KH, as well as SG. I make adjustments to my water mixing if needed.

Wednesday Mix water is transferred into WC system. New water is is mixed and placed into the mixing container. I mix my water one week in advance and make the new mix the same day. When I transfer it to the WC system (15 gallon container with pump and heater) I prep it by double checking the SG and heating it to the same temp as the tank.

Daily once over of the tank beyond just enjoying looking at it. In the morning I feed, check my lights, check for leaks or anything out of the odrinary. I count the fish, take a good look at the corals. Double check the temp in the AM too.

All of this seems like a lot, but actually, once you get on a set schedule its no big deal. Water changes take me about 15 minutes. Thats including preparing new water. Filling the ATO, about 5 minutes. Cleaning the skimmer cup or glass, about 2 minutes.

Every month I clean a power head. I have 3 so they get cleaned every 3 months. Every 3 months I disassemble the skimmer and give it a top to bottom cleaning. Same goes for the return pump. (I just did this Saturday!) It was suggested that I drain and pull the sump every six months and give it a good cleaning. I may opt not to do this since I have converted the center section to a Fuge.

Good god, that's quite the schedule!!!

Yeah. It has been suggested I over complicate things and that my tank, specifically my water, if far too clean. Per my other thread about black stuff.

I too have too many $$$ hobbies. This stuff, old and exotic cars, tool collecting just to name a few. I also retired young and have time to over indulge. You should see the schedule for caring for my roses!

I just posted what I do. I'm sure others do far less and have better luck!

You know, once you get rid of your algae, you should try SPS, your system is so clean that I'll bet it would thrive in your tank!

Back