What to do if buying a new, larger, tank

Dturner

Reefer Madness
Hello,

I wasn't sure where else to put this question. But I currently own a 60 gallon marine tank and I am thinking of possible upgrading to a 75 gallon or (hopefully) larger tank.

What is the easiest way to transfer everything to the new tank?

If I drain all my 60 gallons of water and then add that same water and additional freshly mixed saltwater do I need to cycle my tank again? I wouldn't think so, but I just want to be sure.

Can someone enlighten me on what the process is to upgrade to a new tank?

Thanks in advance. I think I'd be lost without the help from everyone on these forums.

Daniel

You would be fine putting that water in then putting new salt water in, youl want to rinse your sand to get the detritus off, and when i upgraded tanks for my reef, i put my fish in separate containers with water from their previous tank, and put live rock in buckets with some of the same water. try to put the water in really careful with stirring the sand up as little as possible so it will clear up faster

I had to do this when I upgraded from a 55 to a 120. I pulled all rock and but it in bins. Pulled tthe live stock and put them in buckets. I then pulled the water out, being careful to syphon from the top. Once I had almost all of it out I pulled the sand and rinsed it. Set up the new tank, rock and sand. Used one of my return pumps to then put the old water back into the new tank. Toped off with fresh satwater to where the tank was running and the skimmer skimming. Once the water cleared enough, returned the fish, and corals, and turned out the lights.

I had to do this when I upgraded from a 55 to a 120. I pulled all rock and but it in bins. Pulled tthe live stock and put them in buckets. I then pulled the water out, being careful to syphon from the top. Once I had almost all of it out I pulled the sand and rinsed it. Set up the new tank, rock and sand. Used one of my return pumps to then put the old water back into the new tank. Toped off with fresh satwater to where the tank was running and the skimmer skimming. Once the water cleared enough, returned the fish, and corals, and turned out the lights.

How did you rinse the sand? Also, how old was the 55?
I am wondering about the danger of stirring up old sand beds laden with detritus.

I have never rinsed my sand making transitions and never had an issue, but i suppose it couldnt hurt i just dont want to kill off tons of beneficial microfauna and microcurstaceans. Everything else seem about right to me. try to save as much as your current water you have from your tank and top off what doesnt fill it up with freshly mixed water.

BTW I can speak from experience and i am sure others will back me when i say that if your thinking about going bigger, you should try to make a much larger move than 15 gallons, you will barely notice it and most likely wish you had gone bigger, Im not saying go buck wild and get a 850 :drool: but maybe like a 90, 120 or 125 would be a good upgrade. Just something to think about

How did you rinse the sand? Also, how old was the 55?
I am wondering about the danger of stirring up old sand beds laden with detritus.

My 55 was well established, I think it was up for about 6 years or more. I pulled all the water, leaving about the last 2 inches in the tank. Scooped out the sand into a 5 gallon bucket, took it outside and stuck the garden hose in it and turned the water on full blast.

Taking the sand out of an old tank and putting it into a new tank will cause the crap to be released because you are stirring it up so heavily.

I've heard a lot of stories baout old sand beds getting stirred up and causing a massive spike.

Well if you are pulling it outr to put in a new tank, the spike would be unavoidable, hence the rinsing and replaceing. I had no issues what so ever doing it that way a couple different time.

My 55 was well established, I think it was up for about 6 years or more. I pulled all the water, leaving about the last 2 inches in the tank. Scooped out the sand into a 5 gallon bucket, took it outside and stuck the garden hose in it and turned the water on full blast.

Taking the sand out of an old tank and putting it into a new tank will cause the crap to be released because you are stirring it up so heavily.

That kills the beneficial bacteria in it though right?

And the reason I want to upgrade is not necessary because I want more gallons, it is because my tank is only 12" wide, which makes stacking rock very hard. I feel like saltwater tanks are meant to be in at least an 18" or wider tank.

You're right, a 12" wide tank makes it very difficult to aquascape. The rocks always seem to be right up against the front glass, no matter what you do.

I, personally, would either rinse the sand or use brand new sand. If you move your rocks over quickly (like, don't let them sit out dry for a long period of time), then you should have enough bacteria to avoid a mini-cycle.

Back