What to do with a 36g tank?

SturgeonTale

Reefing newb
Hello everyone!

As you can probably guess I'm new to this whole saltwater aquarium thing, I haven't even decided if I'm going to turn my tank into a saltwater aquarium or not. Long story short, I'm here to explore my options. At the moment I have two aquariums in my possession: a 10 U.S gallon standard long aquarium - that I don't plan to use for a saltwater aquarium (it will likely be converted into a terrarium) but it could potentially be used as a sump tank - and a 36 U.S gallon bow-front tank that I would like to use for a reef tank (but I'm open to a fish-only tank too).

Here's a list of fish I would like to use, please let me know if this is over stocked or if the fish are incomparable with one another:
  • Flame Angel (1)
  • Fire Goby (2)
  • any small clownfish species (3)
  • Mandarin Goby (1) OR
  • Catalina Goby (1)

I've done some reading on saltwater fish but since there are so many available species I'd like to know what you would suggest for my first saltwater, 36 gallon, tank? Here are a few other fish that appeal / don't appeal to me, if that will help at all, though I am open to all suggestions

Fish that appeal to me:
I know I can't have many of these species in my tank, but it gives you an idea of what I like
  • Pufferfish of all kinds
  • Dwarf Lionfish
  • Eels
  • Sea horses and Pipefish
  • Tangs
  • Gobies
  • Hogfish
  • Angelfish
  • Dwarf Angelfish
  • Unusual, unique or bizarre looking species

Fish that don't really appeal to me:
  • deep-bodied Cardinalfish (for example the: Pajama or Banggai)
  • single colored Chromis
  • Killifish

Thank you in advance to everyone for their input!

~Tale

Last edited:
Mandarin is not a great idea for such a small tank. They need to be in a large established tank with a huge copepod supply. They can learn to eat frozen but this suppluments their diet it will not sustain them long term.

Mandarin is not a great idea for such a small tank. They need to be in a large established tank with a huge copepod supply. They can learn to eat frozen but this suppluments their diet it will not sustain them long term.

Okay, thank you. :) I'll take it off the list then.

You also should really only keep clowns in pairs. And stick with one kind of goby. But if you decide to go the saltwater route what you have left would be a great stock list.

You also should really only keep clowns in pairs. And stick with one kind of goby. But if you decide to go the saltwater route what you have left would be a great stock list.

Hey Erin, what you say definitely makes sense. Thanks for your input, it's a hard decision on what I want to do with my tank. All of the options are very intriguing, but salt water is definitely one option that's near the top of the list!

Thanks to everyone for their help, I'm always open to options and opinions though... oh and any extra tips or tricks too.

I've always been a fan of Ocellaris clown fish; excellent saltwater starters and peaceful. True Percula (semi-aggressive), black ice and Picasso is also great clown fish to keep since they are durable and have one heck of a personality! As Erin said, clown fish live best in a pair.
I always try to make sure any fish I buy are tank raised/bred or F2 (captive bred, usually 2 generations from wild caught) to ensure safekeeping of species, but every Aquarium keeper is different in their views; choose what's best or you! :)

Back