What to do with live rock when tank is being taken down?

OceanLover

Reefing newb
I've had a salt water tank for a few years now. My fish have all died off, and all of the salt water fish sellers in my area are no longer selling anything having to do with salt water aquariums, and I will be living in residence in University in the fall, so I am just going to empty the tank to put away in storage until I get my own place. My question is, I have some live rock and I don't know what to do with it. No one I know has a salt water tank that I could give it to. What do I do with it?
Thanks

post it for sale on craigslist.
Or if possible, just store it with the tank. I will die, but then you won't have to rebuy rock when you set the tank up again. Just throw in a few pieces of live rock to reseed it.

Personally, I'd try to either sale it, or give it to somebody.
If I couldn't find somebody local, I'd give to somebody who ws willing to pay the shipping.

Wash it as well as you can, pressure wash if possible then set it out in the sun to dry...It will smell for a while but if you just seal it up in a few buckets or a Brute it will be a great start when you set up again....I am building a 120G display and don't intend to buy any rock at all...I still have all my old stuff....

I would sell it... You can buy new dry rock when your ready to set it up, and because dry rock is so much cheaper then live rock. You will be makeing money if you sell it now. Plus then you wont have to go through the trouble of cleaning it and storeing it.

I would sell it... You can buy new dry rock when your ready to set it up, and because dry rock is so much cheaper then live rock. You will be makeing money if you sell it now. Plus then you wont have to go through the trouble of cleaning it and storeing it.

The price of aragonite rock seems to be going up . You might be better holding on to it.

Back