what to do with space used for bioballs

mana0581

Reefing newb
I have a 50 gallon taken with 12 gallons of space used to house filtration: heater and protein skimmer. I have recently added live rock to system 60#. I was told if i want to add coral I will need to get rid of bioballs. What do i do with all the space I have allotted to bio balls. The system is set so the drip plate rest on the bioballs if i remove them I have more noise and reduced ease of access to drip plate and biological filter that rest on top of it. I have been told fill space with live rock but the cost would be really high to fill that space to the current level it is at with the bioballs. Please help!!!

Is the tank already running with livestock in it?
If so, do not remove all the bio-balls at once. This will put a large dent in your biological filter and will harm the current livestock.
Remove the bio-balls in smaller increments and replace with suitable rocks to fill in the void. Your existing live rock will also start to pick up the slack as you gradually remove the bio-balls.

I too had bio balls,, I removed them during a water change....... did this change at the sump. Shop vac-ed it out while I had the opportunity.

Then filled the chamber with rubble from my LFS...... BUT... I ask my LFS if they had live rubble that was mostly coral skeletons.. It weighs less (cheaper) and is very porous, I washed it and filled the whole chamber for around $20. This LFS had loads of that stuff. Being I added the LR, I was able to somehow avoid the bloom.

Last edited:
Thanks guys everyone was really helpful. If u have time i also asked a question about corals. The heading is Beginer corals. thanks again

Back