What to Do

Gatorzone19

55g Reef
I have had my 55g reef for 1.5 years. I have 2 occelaris clowns and a longnose hawkfish. I got a diamond goby about a month ago and he jumped out. Three days ago I got a 2" Yellow Tang for a great deal. I acclimated him put him in the tank and fed the next day. He ate a little not much. Yesterday I fed him and he ate more but I noticed little black spots all over him. I read up on black ich and so I decided to give a freshwater dip. Temp and pH were the same so I put him in it for 5 minutes. Put him back in the tank and he swam into the rocks. This morning I have not seen him at all so I think he might be dead. :frustrat:

I have not been having good luck with fish. I do not know what do. I need some tips.

i'd say you need to look for it properly as if it's dead it will pollute the water. Unfortunately, if you can't see it then it's probably dead because they are a very active fish. A freshwater dip is a very stressful process so could have been too much for the fish if it was very sick.

I would watch your other fish carefully and not add any more for 6-8 weeks just to make sure any disease has died out.

what they said. Is your temp on your tank staying consistent? Did you check your ammonia etc. ?

also as a preventative for your fish now feed them a diet consisting of garlic and vitamins this will boost their immune system and help them fight off any diseases or parasites.

I use a spectrum pellet to soak up the garlic and vitamins then feed. I will also add vitamins and garlic to there melting frozen food. which I take turns feeding both these foods.

Good luck!

Alright I found him but he was the waste of my sebae anemone.:frustrat: I noticed he had been swimming around it before he died to.

My tank temp is around 83-84 and its hot here in Florida. I have been told that 83-84 degrees is safe for my tank.

Hate to hear about your new tang,but cant really blame the anemone.It just did what came natural when the fish got too close(which is why anemones shouldnt be in a reef tank IMO).
83 to 84 is alright,IF its stable.It is on the warm side though.You might want to get a fan to keep it from going any higher.

How did you acclimate the fish when you first added it to the tank? My guess is that it was too sick and weak to get away from the anemone. It probably didn't even put up a fight.

And about the goby jumping, that's totally normal. I've tried two of them, and both of them jumped. That's just in their nature. You really need a tank with a lid or at least egg crate to keep those fish.

Sorry about your loss, but it's just another reason why all new fish should be quarantined before being put into the display. Black ich is actually flatworms. Watch the other fish in the tank carefully as they may now be infested.

Back