What to feed Blenny?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Well one of my first two additions to my tank are my lawnmower blenny and my foxface lo. I was wondering what I should be feeding the blenny as he doesn't seem to go after the mysis shrimp that I put in there like the foxface does. The foxface, he tends to stay in a corner of the tank most of the day, sometimes miscolored and other times he will swim around just a bit but eventually go back to it's corner. The pics show him in his corner. When I put the shrimp in, he eats a lot and apparently loves it though so that's good. Just not sure what to feed the blenny. Got these guys, foxface on Friday and blenny on Saturday and got a combination of two emerald crabs (which I rarely see), three snails and seven hermit crabs. So far they have done an excellent job of cleaning the tank. I also have not seen any kind of spike in parameters so far so loving that.

The wife loves the blenny as do I and hopefully the foxface will start to get used to it's habitat and swimming around more freely without being scared. The blenny is such an unusual fish. I find him propped up everywhere from on the powerheads to on my little clips of seaweed as you'll see in the pics. Also pretty weird how he poops! But all in all, I like how the tank is coming along so far. Next is a good bit of dry rock to fill it up some more then after that, more fish!

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

Here are a few suggestions for you. I don't know if you know this but, both of the fish you have are mainly omnivores, mostly on the veggie side of things. They will both eat your Nori so make sure you feed them both that frequently. You can also feed spirulina pellets and any type of flake food or pellets. They need to get used to eating a variety of things as their health will thank you for it. Don't worry if they both don't eat right away they have to get used to their surroundings. As far as other food you can feed them you can give them frozen cubes, mine like the emerald entree, and the brine shrimp. If they are still not eating like you want them too you can give them garlic infused food to entice their appetite. Lastly, you can also try different type of veggies with them. Mine eat broccoli, carrots, and etc. Good luck with them, they are very fun fish to have in your tank and they will always be busy. Oh and about the foxface changing colors, that's ok they do that as a defense mechanism. They will also lie on their side quite often so don't worry about that either. Have fun with them and if you have any more questions there are lot's of knowledgeable people on here, all you have to do is ask questions.

Variety is key, i would change it up frequently or use a really good "mix" like rod's food. Also +1 on the veggie thing.

But brine has almost no nutritional value so i would only use that as an occasional treat.

Back