What to feed your live rocks peeps?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yes the heading is correct except that peeps stands for everything but the fish.

I will probably have only rock in my tank for at least 2-3 weeks after it totally cures and since i will have 40 crabs and 30 snails with other various things growing I will have to feed them something.

I know I read there is a balance you have to keep because too much and you have issue just like to little.

What are the suggestions of anyone who has done this like roughly how often and what.

Also what do I need to keep tabs on while this is happening?

hopefully the crabs won't eat all the snails, you could just throw a bit of mysis in for the crabs, they'l track it down

I don't feed my Live Rock "People" anything. They scavenge. That's what they're in there for.

Oh I do. They do a good job cleaning and scavenging but I do feed them. The peps come and eat directly from the baster and the star reaches out and takes a serving, too. The Nass snails erupt out of the sand and tumble off the glass to get their supper to.

40 crabs and 30 snails seems like a lot for your tank. The best way to feed all the smaller creatures is not to polish the water. Some people like to filter the water so it is crystal clear. I do not do this. I like to see some level of particles in the water. All my inverts grow like crazy.

Really because they recommended like 80 crabs in the package from tampabay saltwater but I got a cut down version.

I will probably have only rock in my tank for at least 2-3 weeks after it totally cures and since i will have 40 crabs and 30 snails with other various things growing I will have to feed them something.

I am old and easily confused lol, I was sure it said 1 rock, I would think then if the amount sent was matched to the tank its all good, curing rock will produce algaes and there will be lots for them to eat

Yeah that is based on the tank volume.

I am going to have 120 pounds of rock - 40 Dry and 80 Live and I only put half the rock in and since it has been sitting in their tanks it will take about 1 week I guess for the ammonia to do its think and then you put the rest of it in with the critters.

The rock comes with all types of stuff already on them. I guess you can get some sponge and coral as well.

Just check out the site because I don't want to say something wrong but my thing was this.

Once the rock is all ready and I can buy a fish I will probably still not get a fish for a little bit and I read that if you have no fish you will have to feed the critters because with no fish waste they will die off but that you put to much food and you get problems thats all.

I have an 80 gallon and I only plan on having 5 fish for a while. I would be interested in having other creatures like clams or whatever but not just a bunch of fish.

Also I was even thinking of researching because I don't know to get a bunch of soft corals and then find the few fish that can deal with me caring for the corals. But again some people are like, its easy blah blah blah and some say yeah its hard.

I just would rather kill the coral and not a fish. I would feel worse for the fish. I mean it isn't like you can snip a fin and grow a new fish hahaha.

Really because they recommended like 80 crabs in the package from tampabay saltwater but I got a cut down version.

And you have an 80? One crab per gallon is definitely overkill. I would do less than 40 in an 80G. There are some experienced members here on LR that believe you should have zero crabs in your tank..

I've never seen mine do any major damage. The problems they caused me are minor, like stealing food from corals, fighting with each other, knocking over un-attached corals. They do an excellent job of turning the surface sand, eating up un-eaten food, eating dead snails.

Hermit crabs are reef safe as long as they are small.

Hermit crabs are reef safe as long as they are small.

Agreed. Mine kill snails every once in a while for shells, but it never really upset me until the biggest one killed my fighting conch. I keep waiting to see him out during the day, but the sucker stays in the rock most of the time.

Back