What to get first?

RedTornado

Reefing newb
So my light is finally set up and i am now looking to get my first coral. I am wondering what should i look for as being a total newbie to this? Do you know of any good articles I should read up on?

I LOOOOVE my ricordias they have an awesome look and various colors they are super easy as I am a noob too and my first one has doubled in size since I got it.

correct me if i am wrong but zoa's are the ones that need to be on there own rock other wise they take over right?

What do i need to do to acclimate them to my tank? Is it a must to dip coral?

You are thinking of xenias, and they drop branches so keeping them on their own rock isnt a sure bet.

I would say coral dip is a must, treating for pests is pain in the a**.

And i personally am lazy and just toss the hardy stuff right in, after checking the salinities arent too different. Other wise i would acclimate them like you would any old fish or invert.

so these are my parameters as of today. I am planning on going to the LFS tomorrow go get my first corals as long as these are all okay.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
PH: 8.2
Phosphate: 0ppm
Alk: 179ppm
Calcium: 420ppm

I do believe all of these are all good i just wanted to see what you all think. The ones i am really wondering about is the alkalinity, and the calcium.

Thanks!

Everything looks good. Unless you're going to buy some SPS and/or clams you won't need to worry about the Calcium or Alk at all.

Back