What to look for In a quality protein skimmer

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
So here's the deal, I probably dont know how much i should know about Protein Skimmers. Im looking online at a few but ive realized i kind of dont know what im looking for. But i know i want something durable.
So, with that being said Im still deciding on what size tank, I want. It will either be a 40gallon breeder, 55gal, or 75 gallon being that i like fish,corals, and inverts (the whole "sha-bang":mrgreen:). I need to know what numbers to look for and any other information that will help me decide on a quality skimmer.

Thnx Much
Heavy

Kinda hard if you don't know what size tank you want, as skimmers are rated for different sized tanks. Also, do you plan on having a sump? There are skimmers that are made to sit inside your sump, and some that are made to hang on the side of your tank if you don't have a sump. My advice is to figure out or buy your tank first, then shop for a skimmer.

You may need to ask yourself these questions first......

Is this going to be hung on the back of the tank,in sump or outside the sump?
How much space do I have if its in the sump-including height?
How much to I want to spend?
Am I looking for a skimmer thats easy to operate and maintain?

There are many skimmer design from the tried and true venturi to needlewheel,recirculating,downdraft,becketts etc.Personally,go with a skimmer rated much higher than the tank itself.My number one choice for quality and affordability is an Octopus NW150(needlewheel rated up to 150g.).The recirculating NW150 would be even better but that one cost $100 more.

well i just got finished reading the skimming basics article "up top there" and totally understand what youre saying. But i do know i want a refugium/sump and most likely i want to put the skimmer in the sump.

The Octopus NW150 is for in the sump.Its about $160 at Premium Aquatics.com.There are plenty of other good skimmers out there but it will cost much more.

First decide on what size of tank. Don't make the same mistake like some of us. We bought a small tank and upgrated within a year.

If you are thinking of going big, just do it no. Alway buy a tank that is bigger than the one you want. In 6 month it won't be big enough.

Back