What to look for in Water Quality

Awol

Reefing newb
Hey all-

New Reef guy here. I've been doing my research and have a pretty cohesive plan for my first tank. Looking into a 120g with a 55g sump. I already have the 55g tank, and don't want to start in a tank that small (read-unforgiving.)

I'm attaching my town's '06 water quality report. Any feedback on it would be great! They say our town has some of the best water around, but I grew up on well water, so it's all fine by me.

What matters in a WQR? All I see that worries me a bit is the flouride, but all water has that, right?

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to Living Reefs.

Sorry but I don't see a quality report.What you can't figure is the water from them coming into the home.Copper piping and lead can leach back into the water.I've heard of people using tapwater for their reef system with success but those are few and far between.Copper,nitrate,phosphate and lead are a few of the bad stuff.Flouride would be the least of my worries,I've actually read that small amounts of flouride may be beneficial to skeletal structures of corals and fish....just like for our teeths.

I'd skip any tap water altogether. I got a 6-stage RODI unit off of Ebay for $60 plus shipping. If you don't want to buy an RODI unit, you can buy RODI water from Walmart or the grocery store, and all fish stores sell it. Using tap water will lead to algae problems. Trust me, algae is a big enough battle as it is, no need to add to it by using tap water.

I'd skip any tap water altogether. I got a 6-stage RODI unit off of Ebay for $60 plus shipping. If you don't want to buy an RODI unit, you can buy RODI water from Walmart or the grocery store, and all fish stores sell it. Using tap water will lead to algae problems. Trust me, algae is a big enough battle as it is, no need to add to it by using tap water.

Note, only RO or Di will remove phosphates --they favored nutrient of algae.

Back