What to put in an available media slot?

cvcdrk

Reefing newb
Ok so I have the AquaC Remora with the MaxiJet 1200 pump. I also have the overflow box installed. See picture below.

The maxijet fits into the left chamber of the box while the outflow from the skimmer pours into the right chamber, through a filter sponge thing and out the bottom of the box. I've read that many people have used this compartment to put media bags (carbon, purigen, etc.).

What would be the best thing to put into this spot? Would it be capable of sustaining some chaeto? What about live rock rubble? What else could I put in there? I am leaning towards purigen because it effectively reduces everything bad in the aquarium system and can be renewed with some bleach...but if something more natural would be a better idea I'm open to it.

overflow.jpg

I think you'd be fine putting chaeto and some live rubble in that compartment. It should get enough flow. I would add a small light to it though. Check out my 10g contest thread for pics of the clip on light I've used for my mini-filter/sump. Beeguiles is also using the exact same light. You could probably do something similar :)

Well this is the display tank and my light (visible in the pic, lower right middle) would be what supports it. It's a Marineland Reef capable LED.

From the pic it looks like that media slot doesn't get much direct light though, which is why I suggested putting a separate tiny light over it. But maybe it just looks that way in the picture! If that slot gets good light, then you're good to go!

Back