What to use for sump?? need an idea

kmart189

Reefing newb
My tank is a 150 tall meaning it is 48' wide, but I want to upgrade my crappy skimmer to a msx 200 and while doing so I plan on going all out and adding a bigger sump that must fit under my stand I was thinking a 55gal but those are 48" and it wouldn't fit very well. I have a 30 gal on it now which works ok, but I want more space (skimmer won't fit anyway). Ive been looking at craigslist and haven't seen a lot except 55's most of them are full systems or crap that they talked themselves into calling it complete. Is there a cheap way to go about this and make it fit. The inner length is 47" plus I want to just take out the center board between the doors and slide a bigger one in there so I will need a little bit of wiggle room. Maybe a breeder style tank would work? or...? Rubermade ideas.. Thanks in advance.

My DT is 58 gallon Oceanic and it's only 36" wide...so there are tanks out there in the width & volume that you need, the only question is if the depth and length will fit too

find a company in your area that makes comercial windows
buy 1/4" thick glass from them and make your own to your own dimensions
i made a 20x20x20 refugium for $35

What did you use for reinforcement around the edges?

nothing, at 20" long the glass wont bow due to water pressure
and at the corners the silicone is more than strong enough
here is a pic, the tank on the right is the one i made
DSC_0138.jpg

by the way the cords are no longer just hanging there looking all messy and undone.

oh, i should make me one of thoes so i can replace the one i broke... hehehe, custom fit, and i can make it bigger than the last one.. I just called my glass guy, so he's gonna get me a quote.

is there somewhere i can look to see what the max dimentions are that i can use for given thicknesses?

so my glass guy called me and gave the the following:
for a 20x20 1/4 thick is $13.50, so *5 = over $70 to build a roughly 20x20 cube.

i still havent found any good source of information for how big i can make each span of glass for a given thickness...

so my glass guy called me and gave the the following:
for a 20x20 1/4 thick is $13.50, so *5 = over $70 to build a roughly 20x20 cube.

i still havent found any good source of information for how big i can make each span of glass for a given thickness...

that is a crazy price
i would call someone else

went to home depot and bought a $8 glass cutter thinking I would do it myself and learned that it would of been cheaper to just go to Ace and get some glass cut after measuring it out. I hate screwing up.

Almost done with it should be ready to install new skimmer when I recieve it Saturday.
I got the msx at that petplace 15% off and now I am excited to get rid of my under powered viaaqua hob anyone else have this skimmer how is it to adjust

did you check online????
All depends on what you want, i had to build a custom one because of where i wanted it
some people put a fuge on full display right next to their tank, in that case you can get a pre-manufactured tank which will be cheaper

crazy thing is that acrylic is even more expensive

yea, mine has to fit into my custom built stand, i had it all figured out, and then i broke the tank i was gonna use as my fuge.. so now i'm back to trying to figure out what i can use...

i like the rubbermade container idea, but for what i want to do, and the way i want to do it, it needs to be clear, and i've seen enough of thoes clean rubbermade containers get brittle and crack, and that just scares the crap outta me with all that water.. so... back to the drawing board.

Back