What to use for sump?? need an idea

I'm on my phone otherwise I'd Link it but if I was going to go all out I'd use a design off melev's reefs and customize it but for bang for buck go and find a used tank then glue some glass seperators in with silicone

yea, well that was the plan, but problem is that i havent found a tank that will fit yet, i'm familiar with his site, and he makes some really pretty sumps and whatnot, and eventually i'd like to get something like that, but its just not in the budjet right now...

the other problem is that i have a 30gal sump picked out, but i want my fuge to be in addition to that, to add more volume, and i havent found a second tank that will fit along side that 30.

i'm actually trolling on CL right now hoping to land a 50 or sometihng like that, that i could make into my sump and fuge all in one. but i'm broke, so its gonna have to be a keck of a deal...

i actually just got my tripple baffel glass cut for the sump, to keep the bubbles out of the return pump from the skimmer, so i have thoes... i could get a couple more plates of glass and make a fuge inside the 30 i have now, but i really wanted more volume than that.

actually, now that i think about it, i could do something even smoother than all that. i could just get a 32gal trashcan, just like what i do my water changes with, and just cut its top off so that it will fit under the stand. use that as the sump, and use the 30gal tank i already have in there as the fuge.. oh, that adds a whole new set of variables to the plan... hmmmm but it does keep the fuge short enought that i can work on it, and its clear so i can see, and all the sump was for was to hold the heaters, the skimmer, and a couple chunks of live rock, no reason that i need to be able to see inside that, so the trashcan is almost ideal, i bet i can get at least 25 gal in that trashcan, plus the 30 fuge, and bingo, 50 extra gallons..

gotta think on that one for a while...

you know, i was just thinking, what if i just build a wooden frame, and then line that with one of thoes pond liners, i could make it any shape and or size that i want, and then use that instead of the cut off trashcan, i could add more volume that way...

Last edited:
Back