What "Wave Maker" do You Recommend?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
So, I've decided to get sicce powerheads instead of koralia, mainly so I can use a wave maker. I was looking around for a cheap wave maker and came across this: Reef Aquarium Water Movement & Aquarium Wavemakers: Ocean Pulse Wavemakers

The only problem I see is that it only runs one powerhead at a time, so the tank isn't getting as much flow. I was thinking I could use some regular timers but the problem with that is that the shortest time interval is 15 minuets, which is too long.

What do you guys suggest? Would I be okay only having only one of the two 1600 GPH pumps running at a time?

Hmmm, I'm interested in this as well. I wonder if the switching/random flow at a lower gph would be better than or at least equal to just a lot of constant high gph flow.

I keep looking at wavemakers but I think I would just get an MP40 Vortek and use powerheads for the rest.

Keep the flow constant and still pulses from the Vortek. I think the Vortek comes with the controller that pulses it.

Either way I would use it.

I have 5 powerheads in my tank and one of the sits on the back wall pumping water to my Acro patch. When I put in food it is moving in some many directions because I have many streams bouncing off each other.

I am about to put 2 more powerheads in tomorrow.

I will have
3 - Aqueon 1250's
1 - Aqueon 550
2 - Koralia 1400's
1 - Koralio Nano - I will probably move this to the refugium.

My tank will be rockin with no wavemaker. I like to point one across the top to keep that water in constant ripple but until tomorrow I won't have the powerhead extra but now I will.

I will probably put 2 across the bottom, 1 middle and 2 tops. Plus my 4 return outlets blow really hard into my tank. I see they have a great effect on the nearby corals.

I most want to make sure the back of the rocks are getting water movements.

Tunze pumps with a controller. Hands down the most reliable, best working combo there is on the market.

And FYI, the Koralia pumps can be used with a wave maker, but has to be the new pumps, not the older versions.

Last edited:
I played around with a few lower cost wave makers myself when I was looking to add some random flow to my tank. Then my LFS sugguested I try the mini Polario pumps. I have a 7M on my back wall behind my rockscape, its been an awesome little powerhead (You really couldn't use these on the short panes of a tank though imo)

After fidgiting with entry level wavemakers I finally bit the bullet and brought home an MP40. When funds allow I'll add a second one. IMO its one of the best solutions to random flow. The other setup I would look at is the Tunze setup mentioned by Fast. I never had any real luck with Koralia's - I had problems with several of them.

It'll be Vortech's from here on out for anything I setup in the future

Tunze pumps with a controller. Hands down the most reliable, best working combo there is on the market.

And FYI, the Koralia pumps can be used with a wave maker, but has to be the new pumps, not the older versions.

I spelled VorTech wrong oh well.

I thought it has to be the Koralias that are controllable?

Are you saying the new ones can be used with say the Reef Keeper Lite. Like if I had the L3 with the extra powerbar and used 2 outlets and controlled them to pulse the Koralias.

The Koralias I bought were these which are probably the old ones. - Hydor Koralia Evolution 1400 Powerhead - English

Actually I am 99% these are the old ones.

I planned on getting a VorTech in a few months if I can and with my RKL I think I will be ok. For now having a ton of GPH in my powerheads will have to do and the temp of my tank barely ever goes over 80 plus winter is coming woot woot!

The VorTech's come with their own controller that works very well, I don't see why you would want to use a different one.

Some of the Hydor's are controllable and some are not. There are wavemakers out there that will let you control the non controllable Hydor's, but I'm guessing this severely shortens their service life, because they weren't designed for constant start up and shut off (like the controllable pumps were)

The VorTech's come with their own controller that works very well, I don't see why you would want to use a different one.

Some of the Hydor's are controllable and some are not. There are wavemakers out there that will let you control the non controllable Hydor's, but I'm guessing this severely shortens their service life, because they weren't designed for constant start up and shut off (like the controllable pumps were)

Exactly! Hydor actually makes a wave maker for their pumps.

Even the new ones aren't reliable with a wave maker, I've got 2 1050s and I tried using them with my wave maker but it still reverses the motor all the time.

Exactly! Hydor actually makes a wave maker for their pumps.

They make a wave maker but you have to buy the "controlable" pumps. They don't have the normal power cords, instead they only plug into the hydor controller for operation.

Even the new ones aren't reliable with a wave maker, I've got 2 1050s and I tried using them with my wave maker but it still reverses the motor all the time.

I am running a pair of 6200 pumps, and wouldn't switch them for anything. Using the controller I can alternate the flows.

They make a wave maker but you have to buy the "controlable" pumps. They don't have the normal power cords, instead they only plug into the hydor controller for operation.

True, that was why I stated earlier that the older pumps were not compatible.
Water Pumps & Powerheads: Hydor Koralia Controllable Pumps & Wavemakers

I saw the controllable Hydors but opted for the normals ones because I am going Vortech later on. I may also never get a wavemaker as well an use the money for a Reefkeeper system.

Or buy more corals or buy food or buy Disney Annual Passes or buy soda or save it bwahahaha.

No seriously I want an MP40 to the max. I have a 6 footer and need it I need it I need it.

RedSea makes a wavemaker for pumps with normal power cords. It supposedly has a 'soft start' feature to prevent damage to pumps that were not designed to be used with a wavemaker. If you search for reviews, you'll see that some people love it, others hate it. The other issue with Koralia's is the motor reversing. Having them setup on a wave maker doesnt do you any good when it randomly fires up in reverse and isn't moving water

Phastroh, you'll need more than one MP4 for a 6ft tank - you'll need one for each side

I actually saw the controller in action yesterday, and spoke with the Hydor rep. The controllers are plug and play with the new Koralias. It is really an easy basic little controller that details for 79 bucks. No special plugs at all. It has 2 female pigtails to plug your pumps into, and one male powercord going to the outlet.

I actually saw the controller in action yesterday, and spoke with the Hydor rep. The controllers are plug and play with the new Koralias. It is really an easy basic little controller that details for 79 bucks. No special plugs at all. It has 2 female pigtails to plug your pumps into, and one male powercord going to the outlet.

Are you talking about this Aquarium Wavemakers: Hydor Koralia SmartWave Pump Controller ? And did they say if this wavemaker fixed the problem of their pumps running in reverse?

I know it is not the same but having one of my 1250's pointing toward the surface and the entire top of the 220 is not just rippling it is moving. I can see it coming below the top brace the rings the top of the tank.

After my sump dries and I swap it out for the old sump I will have 2 pumps doing this but in a little different set up. I think with 2 my water surface will be sloshing around My tank is wide open so it seems easy to get a lot of motion in the tank as is.

Well the Koralia Pumps I got are actually the new ones.

The box says right on it Koralia Circulation and Wave Pump.

So I guess I could for now snag a controller and have somewhat of a wave maker. Wish I would have purchased the larger pumps.

Back