what would be a good shrimp...

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
what would b a good shrimp to have in a 40 gallon breeder frag tank? there will be no fish, just snails and a couple of hermits.

A mantis shrimp ;)
Don't worry, as long as there's enough snails and hermits your corals will never be touched.

Haha, just kidding. You don't want to get attacked every time you move a frag.

I'd go with a cleaner or some sort of small cool lookin thing. Go look at sites that sell different inverts, and check out their shrimp section. That should give you some ideas, and research ones you like.

The only problem I see with adding a shrimp to a frag tank is that if you plan on feeding your frags, that shrimp will constantly be pulling food out of the corals mouth. And will make feeding them just a pain. Is there a reason you're not adding any fish?

+1 bl1 i forgot about that. Every time i feed my acans or duncan for example my cleaner shrimp digs his little claws in there and takes food from them

This might just be my experience, but I had lots of problems with sexy shrimp trying to eat my LPS corals. I would skip on the shrimp personally, and put in a small fish instead. The fish will provide nutrients for the corals and won't steal their food

For my new frag tank, I'm currently researching a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish.. although the tank is small he would own it.. Also, must consider what the LFS is feeding it.. most likely fish that are loosing a stress battle. But being this is a secluded tank it is a chance to have a carnivore which I can't have in my main display tank.

Wrasse are cool, but I'd have to build a cover and am concerned about it jumping ship while I work on & feed frags.

A Royal Gramma would make a decent match, as would a Blue Eyed Royal which needs some LR to hide among.

Last edited:
For my new frag tank, I'm currently researching a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish.. although the tank is small he would own it.. Also, must consider what the LFS is feeding it.. most likely fish that are loosing a stress battle. But being this is a secluded tank it is a chance to have a carnivore which I can't have in my main display tank.

Wrasse are cool, but I'd have to build a cover and am concerned about it jumping ship while I work on & feed frags.

A Royal Gramma would make a decent match, as would a Blue Eyed Royal which needs some LR to hide among.

You can't do a dwarf lion in a twenty gallon tank.

You can't do a dwarf lion in a twenty gallon tank.

ha ha.. it took you long enough... I don't want a lion fish... wink.. got'ta love it...
.they require at least 30 gallons and that is a squeeze.. plus I need to get my hands all over that tank...

Back