What would you say is the MOST important thing to consider in this hobby?

Zissou

What about my dynamite?
I'd have to go with water. No matter how nice your tank or equipment, it all means nothing without a source of pure water. I think when a lot of us are new, we just don't realize, no matter how much we read, how much we'll actually be mixing saltwater or topping off our tanks.

After everything is setup and running, the one thing you'll be needing constantly is water.

Invest in a RODI unit and some storage bins or containers.

Make it as conveniently to access as possible.

And you'll solve 90% of your biggest issues in this hobby.

Water is very important but I have to say patience also is important. I am probably the most impatient person I know and I have found it very hard to take things slow. But because of the recommendations from others and hearing the horror stories of people who did not I have really learned a great deal of patience and have had great success with my reef for the last 8 months.

I'd say the most important thing to consider is the fact that you will be taking care of living creatures. So everything else falls below that. To care for your aquarium properly and provide a suitable habitat you will need proper water care, patience and research.

I'd say the most important thing to consider is the fact that you will be taking care of living creatures. So everything else falls below that. To care for your aquarium properly and provide a suitable habitat you will need proper water care, patience and research.
I would second that but I would also have to go with patience......Honestly my tank has taight me that good things come with time and trying to rush wont get you anything but disappointment

I would have to say hours and hours and hours of research. Because all the aspects you guys are talking about can be learned through research from multiple sources. Well except goose's thing, that is a very important mind set.

No matter how many books you read, experience is extremely important. Reading and then putting it in to practice effectively.

I'm with Mac on this one....research is most important. Everything I've done to my tank had lots of research behind it....from the setup, to equipment, to livestock, to correcting mistakes so I don't do it again.

id say research because that encompasses everything here, including water chemistry and understanding the creatures you are taking care of.

Money! If you don't have enough set aside you end up skimping and getting a small tank and cheap lights, heater, skimmer, etc....Then you discover you can't keep half the stuff you wanted to cause your tank is too small and your lights are too junky. And then you want to get rid of all the junk you wasted your money on and upgrade.
Sooo, I'd say money is the most important thing to consider...
I would say I've spent 500-600 hundred so far, and I only have a 14 gallon tank!

I'd have to go with water. No matter how nice your tank or equipment, it all means nothing without a source of pure water. I think when a lot of us are new, we just don't realize, no matter how much we read, how much we'll actually be mixing saltwater or topping off our tanks.

After everything is setup and running, the one thing you'll be needing constantly is water.

Invest in a RODI unit and some storage bins or containers.

Make it as conveniently to access as possible.

And you'll solve 90% of your biggest issues in this hobby.

Yeah, money.

Money! If you don't have enough set aside you end up skimping and getting a small tank and cheap lights, heater, skimmer, etc....Then you discover you can't keep half the stuff you wanted to cause your tank is too small and your lights are too junky. And then you want to get rid of all the junk you wasted your money on and upgrade.
Sooo, I'd say money is the most important thing to consider...
I would say I've spent 500-600 hundred so far, and I only have a 14 gallon tank!
I dont know, I am working on a budget, but I have pretty good stuff. I think that having the patience to wait and buy the good stuff is more important that being able to fork it out up front.

Back