What you do ASAP....Tang probs

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,

Last night I added my three tangs to my new tank all at once. (achilles - small, chevron and a purple)

All fish were quarantined...and were fine on their own.

Unfortunately, it has not gone well.....I am now trying to decide what to do...

Here is the problem....
achilles.jpg

He is getting bullied by the purple for sure.... He did take a few nibbles of some pellets since the move but thats it...

The aggression seems to be better as the day goes on... but the achilles also appears worse and worse...

The other tangs appear fine...they grumble once and a while but nothing bad.

The other fish as of now are not showing any ich either...

As I see it....

A) I am not optimistic I could even catch him
B) I am worried he could die
C) I am worried he could infect my other fish or already done so...

Please give some advice....I`m majorly stressed...

Wow :( Talk about breaking out. When you qt'd him, did you treat for the ich, or just qt'd for the purpose of fattening them up? Because if you did not treat for ich specifically, he never lost ich....it just went dormant. As I'm sure you've read many times, ich tends to be present when the fish is under stress. Just cuz you don't see ich doesn't mean it's not in your tank.

If you're not able to catch him (which would cause more stress), you'll just have to hope he'll fend it off himself.

+1 Wonton. If you quarantined them before adding them to the tank, you should have treated for ich. Unless you bought it from a place that had treated them with copper or hypo already, you can safely assume any fish you buy has ich. Quarantining them and watching them doesn't do anything against ich.

Plus the achilles is one of the most difficult of the tangs to keep in and of itself.

Are there other fish besides the tangs in the tank? If so, you will need to remove and treat every fish for the ich -- they all have it now.

That's a pretty bad case of ich on a very wimpy fish. I'm not sure he will pull through without treatment.

Ok.... I need to explain the full situation with the achilles.... and I need opinions...

I purchased this fish about 6-8 weeks ago...he has been living in the stores frag tank alone since then until my new tank was ready.

Without getting into to it too much... I had a falling out with the guy who owned the store. About 6 days ago I get a email asking me if I am over going to come get my fish...

So for the last 6 days I have been trying setup a time to go get him.. and finally had a pickup day set for Wednesday. Last night he informs me that Wednesday no longer works and the only night that will work is tonight....(it is now 9:15pm)

I call the other store who has the chevron and he says its ok so I say lets do it...

So I go pick up the chevron at 10pm, and then drive over to the other store and arrive at say 10:30...(this is at his house) This is where it gets weird...

The fish is bagged, but moreover is double bagged with a black lined bag (he tells me to help reduce the stress...)

Now I wanted to put the bag in a bucket I had brought for ease of transport so I took the clear bag out of the black bag and set it in
the bucket.

All the time...never raising it up to actually look at it as I thought it would be looking crazy stressed anyways. Then I took them all home and dripped the fish...(leaving the bag in the bucket) I then netted them from the bags and put them in the display at midnight.

Of course at that time all lights were off...and all the fish went immediately into hiding and I didn`t get a good look at them. I then went to bed.

Check on everyone this morning to watch purple chasing both tangs aggressively... It is now....8:00am

At this point...I notice the achilles has ick. 8:30 the atinics come on and I realize how bad....

I have asked 3 local knowledgeable reefers and none of them feel this fish could have got that bad overnight. The also commented how malnourished he looked....

What is the general consensus here....

Thats pretty bad....
I'd FW dip them all and do hypo....this is just me.....some say it will put more stress on them,but i'd rather chance it than watch them all die from an attack like this
Good luck

If he was in a frag tank at the LFS, he may have been quarantined, but there's no way he could have been treated for ich. You can't treat for ich in a frag tank.

I have seen fish get terrible ich overnight, but you're right, not that bad! It usually starts with just a few spots, not a full blown outbreak. It does sound shady.

Why didn't you have the LFS quarantine them in a medicated tank? Or why didn't you do that at home before you added them to your tank?

If he was in a frag tank at the LFS, he may have been quarantined, but there's no way he could have been treated for ich. You can't treat for ich in a frag tank.

I have seen fish get terrible ich overnight, but you're right, not that bad! It usually starts with just a few spots, not a full blown outbreak. It does sound shady.

Why didn't you have the LFS quarantine them in a medicated tank? Or why didn't you do that at home before you added them to your tank?

The fish was kept at his house.. in his large frag tank. The chevron was kept in a qt with meds.

I have no excuse for me not doing it than a)he was there since Sept 24th so I thought all was good, and b)not thoroughly looking at the fish last night... that's is by far my biggest mistake.

Without getting into to it too much... I had a falling out with the guy who owned the store. About 6 days ago I get a email asking me if I am over going to come get my fish...

So for the last 6 days I have been trying setup a time to go get him.. and finally had a pickup day set for Wednesday. Last night he informs me that Wednesday no longer works and the only night that will work is tonight....(it is now 9:15pm)

He obviously new the fish had ich, wanted to get it out of his shop before it died. I don't quite understand why your fish has been at his shop/house since Sept?....But that's neither here nor there.

That fish is in rough shape. I wonder if you'd be better off pulling the other fish out of the tank, leaving him in the big tank with plenty of room to swim ,and with no threats of violence...then maybe when he gets better re-introduce the other fish.

The clock is ticking on him, poor thing looks like a pin-cushion.

Update....

Amazingly I have been able to get him to eat. He is eating nori and he took a few flakes, and a few pellets...

The purple is still bugging him...but NOWHERE near what he was.

achilles_ick3.jpg

achilles_ick2.jpg

I should also mention that this guy is small.... he is I would say 3 1/4" maybe 3.5" tops....

A few local people are claiming that fish that age/size will always be skinny.... thoughts?

That's good! keep pumping him with food. Enrich it if possible(selcon). Keep us posted. He is a good looking fish under those spots. Get him threw this and he will be your prize possession! good luck

I am pounding the garlic guard to him....I will be getting some selcon tonight... would you do both garlic guard and selcon?

nothing on the planet is designed to be skinny. Thin, streamlined, yes..not bumpy skinny. If he keeps eating you'll fatten him up. By the way, they said the same thing about me, I proved them wrong too.

I should also mention that this guy is small.... he is I would say 3 1/4" maybe 3.5" tops....

A few local people are claiming that fish that age/size will always be skinny.... thoughts?
I would have to disagree with this...i just got a blonde naso the same size and he's nowhere near that skinny......i'm glad to hear you got him eating ...i would feed as much and as often as possible good luck:Cheers:
here's my tang
https://www.livingreefs.com/just-brought-home-impulse-buy-t30457.html
+1 PRC : Edit

Back