whats going on???

But if i do small water changes won't it maintain the nitrates I have right now? You're right though. I don't want to stress my already sick jawfish out any more than he is.

My tank always has about 10 nitrates its really not that big of a deal just do regular 10-15% changes so that it doesnt go up more than that.

Other than your new fish with ick no one is sick or suffering but if you keep doing these drastic changes you are going to stress them out.

Is zero ideal, yes but not having zero doesnt mean the end of the world either.

Okay. I think ill just relax lol and do small water changes weekly. I was under the impression that my invertebrates (coco worm, sea urchin and maxi mini nem) could not handle nitrates over five. But if that's not the case then I rlly don't have a terrible situation like I thought. Nobody is showing any ill effects...just the jawfish but he is getting better. He stopped eating for a few days but now he is eating and more active. I think he is coming back.

Thank you guys for all the advice. I'm a bit paranoid about my tank sometimes. I make things bigger than they are lol but its better than not caring at all right. But anyways, a big thanks to all your advice!

I love this thread, I have the SAME thing going on beeguiles, I use RO water tho, d cannot figure out what the heck is going on with my nitrates, just yelled at my lfs dude for not shaking the bottle enough too :), but, reading everyone's comments I will just relax at 10 and not keep doing water changes. Just did 20%, did 20% 2 nights ago, I am freaking out over here. Said I couldn't go out tonight! I just added that shrimp and don't want to kill him. So now I'll relax. Maybe go get a beer. Or two. :)

I love this thread, I have the SAME thing going on beeguiles, I use RO water tho, d cannot figure out what the heck is going on with my nitrates, just yelled at my lfs dude for not shaking the bottle enough too :), but, reading everyone's comments I will just relax at 10 and not keep doing water changes. Just did 20%, did 20% 2 nights ago, I am freaking out over here. Said I couldn't go out tonight! I just added that shrimp and don't want to kill him. So now I'll relax. Maybe go get a beer. Or two. :)

I'll take one also!

Sarah, I'm glad you enjoyed this thread. I was stressing out too! I still don't like my nitrates being at 10 but I guess its out of my hands lol. Oh well, just gotta stick with the weekly water changes. It sucks knowing you are doing everything right and its still not perfect like it should be. But we shall relax about it now. It's nice to know I'm not the only one Haha :)

I didn't notice if you mentioned it or not, but what kind of filtration are you running? Protein skimmer, canister filter, etc? And what kind of substrate?

Back