what's happening to my coral?!?

mikefight101

Reefing newb
i got home from dinner and found this happening to my candy cane coral! it looks like something started eating it or something anyone know whats causing this? or how to fix it?
thanks as always!

Attachments

• photo copy 2.jpg
    photo copy 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,181
  • photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,339
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,449
It looks as if it has caught some kind of infection. I would remove it from the tank & give it an iodine dip in lugols, coral rx or something similar. Act asap to prevent the spread of the "rogue bacteria". If you decide to give the coral a "dip", try to make sure you only touch the skeleton so as to avoid the corals flesh. Also is that cyano on the substrate, if so....that can spread & become a problem a well. There's plenty of posts out there on how to combat cyano. You may wanna take a look. I hope all works out well for you, Good Luck!!

Last edited:
To me, it looks like damage to the coral. Mine get that if I inadvertently knock a piece of salt creep onto them when trying to clean the edges of my tank.

at first i thought it was just some damage but there was white stringy stuff all over it so i'm not sure. as far as the dip goes i don't have any of those things to dip it in. is there anything else i could dip it in?

and i don't think thats cyano. i thought that was the coraline algae growth on the rock? that is how it looked when i got it from the lfs. (it's on the rock not the sand)

actually upon further inspection i think its just my camera. when looking at it compared to the picture its a much lighter purple and deff doesn't look as thick. is it possible thats the answer? or you guys pretty sure its cyano? my paremeters are good (ph 8.1, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all at 0 as of this afternoon)

Ill second biff and chuck, thats definitely cyano. Multiple methods seem to be best for ridding it. I don't recommend chemical warfare unless you have no other choice, but decreasing the photperiod on the tank just a little, and removing as much by hand as possible will help. I understand you have coral in the tank that will be needing light so you can only decrease the photoperiod to an extent, but anything will help. I always just pulled it out and eventually when paramaters finally stabalize it will quit growing completely. Im sure others here have dealt with it by different means. Increasing flow over the affected areas will also help.

The purple on the back rock (Top of pic) is Coralline algae, The BIG purple patch in the bottom left corner is Cyano.

+1 about the coral, It prob got damaged either by touching another coral or however it got damaged... The stringy slime stuff... thats what (most) corals do... when they get damaged. Its self defense or something XP

so we don't think it's some evil bacteria that's gonna kill my tank? lol and alright I'm gonna take that rock out of the tank (it's a really small piece) and I'll decrease the lights by like a hour maybe two, would that be good?

as far as the dip goes i don't have any of those things to dip it in. is there anything else i could dip it in?

You should have some always. You need to get in the habit of dipping all new corals you are introducing into your system, regardless of who you get them from. Pests often hitch hike in on frags and small colonies.

Back