what's missing from my cuc?

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
So, my CUC currently consists of the following:

3 emerald crabs
1 blue leg hermit crab
10 or 15 astrea snails
3 mexican turbo snails
~5 or so some other snail I can't recall... but they're stripped black and yellow.
and a few of those snails with hardly any shell that were hitch hikers.
Some unknown amount of nassarius snails. Hardly see 'em, but that's okay because my sand sifting goby does a great job keeping the sand pristine.

I'm still having algae issues, and although that's expected in a new tank, I'm getting tired of scraping the glass every other day. So, anyone have suggestions to what else would be useful in the tank? Must be reef safe!

see, I'm pretty sure sea cucumbers poison your tank if they die, so that seems like a bad idea to me. I think sea hares are one of the ugliest things on earth, so also not likely to happen in my tank.

A sea hare will only live as long as it has algae to eat in the tank. It will certainly die once it's ate all the algae and it will starve to death. If you do go that route make sure you LFS will take the sea hare back once your algae is gone. No sense in killing a perfectly good creature.

Thanks Mike. I already have done all those things, and while the algae is better, it's still annoying me. glass cleaning 4x per week seems like a lot.... or maybe I'm just lazy! :mrgreen:

I have to clean my glass every day. I've got used to it and its a process of owning a tank in my mind. Try an algea scrubber. I've heard they work very well and quite a few LR members have tried them. It's in the DIY section.

A couple of shrimp would help.So would the starts that Smitty mentioned.
Think of the green dusty stuff that gets on the front glass,as free phyto for the filter feeders:D

i only use astrea snails, ceriths, nerite snails, and banded trochus snails they do the best job especially on the glass. No hermit crabs for me they kill the snails for shells. Sally light foot crabs do awesome job keeping rocks clean. Good snails to get you can't really buy but you can get from other reefers who have them in there tank and they breed like crazy are collinista snails and stomatella snails.

Sally lightfoot crabs can be extremely aggressive and will kill fish. I used to have a pair (before I knew any better) and they killed and ate a sixline wrasse and two firefish right in front of my eyes.

not all are bad, my buddy has a male sally that is 5 inches long and doesn't hurt fish, it just swats at them, mine does same thing, there hit and miss some are good some can be bad.

Yeah they swat at fish, and if they get lucky they'll catch the fish they're swatting at. That's aggressive behavior towards fish. If yours hasn't killed a fish yet, it's only a matter of time. The fact that it is swatting at fish means that it's TRYING. Like I said, mine killed three fish in a two week period. I had had the sallys for probably about two years before they started trying to catch fish. They turn to preying on fish as they get older.

I've had this hermit for a year, and he hasn't killed any snails to get a shell. But then I supply extra shells for him, so I don't think there's a problem there.

What about urchins?

Back