Whats the best Hang on skimmer?Looking to upgrade!!

roberttroy81

Ocean Fanatic
Im looking to uprade my skimmer.At first i was thinking sump.Im just gonna get the best hang on skimmer Available.Both my skimmers now, i dont like.Any suggestions?

I'm moderately new to this hobby, and asked everybody here what their opinion was of the Remora Aqua-C skimmers - It got a glowing endorsement from this board, and the thing performs perfectly. A bit noisy first couple weeks, and now very quiet.

I nhave a romora pro. I just added the overflow bow for it. The thing is huge but makes the skimmer work alot better. I am starting to grow xenia and gsp on it.

Guess I'll be different again.
Get yourself a coralife super skimmer.Their not as pricey as the remora,but it'll get the job done.

You asked the best, the general response seems to be the deltec mce-600, but it costs double the price of an aqua-c remora pro up here. I got my remora for 160 used and would have paid over 500 for the deltec.

I would definitely have to agree that the Deltec mce-600 is the best HOB currently available. Unfortunately the Deltec is very expensive, as melonbob pointed out. The remora can be problematic as each one is hand built and the injector can vary in height. The remora also is dated in its technology as it uses a injector over a pinwheel or needlewheel design. The Corallife SS can have overflow problems and can dump microbubbles into the tank. But is a good skimmer for the money and is popular because it uses a needlewheel design, which is efficient and can produce good skimmate. The best solution for skimming is easily in-sump skimmers, they will produce much more skimmate for the same price as HOB skimmers. The Octopus skimmer has an 8" body and is about 24" in height, it runs about $175-$200. So when you compare it against HOB skimmers in the same price range they don't compare. The octopus skimmer would probably run in the same league as the Deltec, which is 3x the price.

Back