Whats the deal?

yote

In Memoriam
Hello folks,,, For some reason I cant keep Sally Long Leg crabs alive. I tryed 2 in the last 3 months and both died. Both were fine for the first week or so,,,feeding,,and very active only to be found dead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. SG=1.023 PH=8.3 DKH=9 Ammonia=0 Nitrite=0 Nitrate=.05 Cal.=400 Phos.=.5 Temp.=78 to 78.5

seems odd, are you aclimating them or just dropping them in? are there any other crabs? (live rock hitchhikers) do you have any problems with blue leg hermits or any other crabs? ive always had sally light foots and never had any die. are you sure they arnt there, cause when a sally lightfoot molts its old shell looks identical. i always have to take a second look when I see a molted shell, cause it looks like a dead crab. im sure you would have noticed him still in the tank somewhere else if that was the case, but thought id throw it out there. let us know any more info

Yeah,,I drip acclimate every I add to my tank. I have 9 little blue leg hermits and a red colored hermit and their doing great,,,actually cycled the tank with them. and the only hitch hiker crab I know of is some kind of little filter feeing crab thats doing awesome. Checked to make sure the sally's hadnt molted as soon as I found their bodies. Thanks.

hey I just realized your from ringgold! have we met? have you looked into joining the local club? I have a sally lightfoot in a frag tank that im tearing down right now if your interested.

lol,,,yep im from ringgold,,,,dont know that weve actually met before.,,,I been thinking about joining the chattanooga reefers,,,,just learned about them today. Yeah,,,,I might be interested in your sally lightfoot,,,,,,if i can figure out why I have so much trouble with them. How much are you asking for it?

BTW Im kinda new to reefkeeping,,,,only had saltwater for a little over 4 months,,,so I'll take any advice you have to offer

hey man, probly about $10. hes good size. and ive had him for almost a year. if you can come to our next meeting november 11, I can bring him. ill probly be tearing down my frag tank that day, as most of the stuff will be going to that meeting. Im in no hurry otherwise, So if you want him between now and the meeting just send me a PM.
where in ringgold are you?

hey the club is the answer, we get together all the time, we all pretty much have eachothers phone numbers and go to each others houses whenever we have problems. there are alot of very nice people in the club, who will do whatever they can to help out. you gotta come to the meeting, plus if you join you get discounts at LFSs, and some online vendors

Last edited by a moderator:
as for right now,,,,,about all the reef I got is a 30 gal,,,,with about 15lbs of live rock,30lbs of crushed coral and live sand mixed,1 seba clown,1 blue green chromes,1 sailfin blenny,a frag of yellow polps,some xenia,3 mushrroms,a small peice of candy cane,and some star polps. but working towards changing my 55 over to reef,,,,as I learm more about it and the funds become available

yote:

Hey sorry I missed out on this last night I was in cleveland helping a member with his tank. We would love to have you come to the meeting infact it is at my house. I'll PM you my address and contact info.

Hope to see you there.

Brandon

Back