Whats the most reliable heater??

CrypticAnimal

Member of Dfwmas
Ive been looking to buying two heaters for my 75 gallon after reading some of the reviews..Kinda scary , It seemed almost like every heater that had a review, had cooked tanks or stopped working within six months..Ive had a (2)stealth heaters for two yrs and the reason for me buying them was only becase they were cheap..Now Im looking to upgrade..I was just wondering what type of heaters everyone else were using and how long..Im not to sure on how to start a poll so I didnt bother with it..So any opinions would be great thankx

I am not a big fan of the hydor line I have used 3 of them and could never get the thermostat to work properly. I currently only use Ebo Jager heaters in all my tanks. They have proven themselves over and over again, I have only had one Ebo go out on me and I have owned about 6 (the other ones were broken by a very very big bad fishie).

I spent many year, and still do to some extend, in engineering field dealing with temp controls. For what is worth - this is my set-up on my 80 gallon reef/fish tank with a 20 gallon refugum.

I have two Rena Cal Top Light Exels; 300 W & 150W. The 300 W is located behind the overflow shield in the main tank, and the 150W in the refugium.

I heard so many stories about deep fried fish b/c of faulty heaters. So, not considering the cost of a digital temp controller, my set up is very reliable and precise. I have a programmerable temperature controller set at 77.0'F and the heaters' built-in thermostats set at about 79'F. My digital controller (typical dig controllers cost about $100 - $200 retail) controls both heaters and maintains tank temp to within 0.1'F of set temp. Without going in too much detail - heaters stay on and off about 1 second interval when controlling, so the heaters never get hot. In the event the digital controller fails in closed output mode, the heater's built in thermostat will control the heaters at its set temp - so over heating is slim, and the heater will last indefinately.

Down side of this set up is, if the digital controller failed in the open circuit position, the heaters will not come on. To remedy this, I could put a third heater or take the one of the two out the digital controller loop, and set it at a few degrees higher than the digital controller.

Looking at the heater design, I suspect the most of failures come from built-in thermostats. These built-in thermostats use some sort of mechanism that expands and contracts as the temp around the heaters change and open and close a heater contact. Also, I suspect these heater thermostats are effected by any physical vibration; high water flow around it, or fish bumping it could change the set point. So, securely mounting of these heaters might be important.

As for in-line heaters, since it only works if their is water flow, it adds another potential weakness in the heating system. Also possible leak problems and the high cost. I'm sure they designed it so that it would not reduce pump rating but you are dealing with added fittings which would reduce pump capacity. So, I am thumbs down on this set up.

Rick

I have always used Jebo Jagers in the past but since the company has changed hands Ive decided to go to the stealth heaters in short. Ill start a poll for you and see what everyone is doing. thanks for the question.

d.french said:
same here no heaters in my tank, to many went crazy and almost cooked my corals. metal halides

I'm glad you said that. I have been working on getting a 125 set up and would like to know how many halides you have and how far above your tank they are.

check out my photo gallery got lots of pics, new ones to maybe 5 to six inches above water, but the light fixture has three halides the middle bulb is partially blocked by center brace, sucks but reflectors help light get were it needs to.

next time im at the LFS, I will get the brand of this heater that I have
It is virtually unbreakable made of titanium and has an external temp sensor that can be placed some place else in the tank. I got sick of the glass tube "submersibles" getting water inside of them and the element breaking.

Brian

bjohanson1234 said:
next time im at the LFS, I will get the brand of this heater that I have
It is virtually unbreakable made of titanium and has an external temp sensor that can be placed some place else in the tank. I got sick of the glass tube "submersibles" getting water inside of them and the element breaking.

Brian

I had one of those titanium heaters and it lasted me about 6 months. I don't know if it was a bad heater or if the saltwater killed it. Just my experience with it.

Back