What's up with my nem??

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
So I got this bubble tip anemone less than a week ago, and he's deflated every morning when the lights come on, and comes back to normal by then end of the day. He emits some kind of brown stuff, so I'm thinking he's pooping, but every day???

I'm getting kinda worried... Nitrates are 1 ppm at the most, and s.g. is 1.025.

to me it sounds more like a problem.. The brown stuff that's often discharged from anemones, and coral, is actually zooxanthella. If the anemone came from a tank with lower light, it will likely have a large amount of zooxanthella. The anemone can't survive in a brighter lit environment with such a large amount. It must discharge a portion. This is what we see as brown stuff coming out of the mouth. this usually means that the nem is stressed and trying to adjust.. If it doesnt correct itself soon I would think about adjusting the lighting to help the problem..

Last edited:
to me it sounds more like a problem.. The brown stuff that's often discharged from anemones, and coral, is actually zooxanthella. If the anemone came from a tank with lower light, it will likely have a large amount of zooxanthella. The anemone can't survive in a brighter lit environment with such a large amount. It must discharge a portion. This is what we see as brown stuff coming out of the mouth. this usually means that the nem is stressed and trying to adjust.. If it doesnt correct itself soon I would think about adjusting the lighting to help the problem..

He was getting very little light at the LFS, but he's now under in a crack where there's like no light. Should I turn the lights down nonetheless?

I dont think it would hurt to cut them down a bit and see how it reacts to it.. I know you have LED's which may be alot more then he was used too... after a week it should be calming down but I would try dimming them a little and see.

Bad new guys. :(

A few days ago the anemone moved from where he was and moved under the rocks. Today I noticed he was actually detached and just sitting there, between the rocks and the sand. I picked him up and put him on the rocks and he's attaching somewhat but not enough. He keeps loosing his grip. I tried to feed him a little piece of shrimp and he wouldn't really grab it. I don't get >.< besides that he looks quite healthy. He's inflated and hasn't lost any color. Still nice and green...

If he's not better tomorrow I'll see if the LFS can take him, and if they can't... I dunno. :dunno:

One of my anenomes always deflates at night and re-inflates in the morning after the lights come on and is very healthy. Haven't had the brown poop problem though.

I have found anenomes have very different characters, even in the same species and behave in weird ways. If you want him to attach and are really concerned, you can put something llike a small collander over him and keep him in place for a while. If you are worried about his health affecting other I suggest QT.

yes they can just hopefully while unattached he doesnt get to close to the pumps...
Hope he re attaches for you soon..

Yeah my Anemone I have had for 1 and a half years always discharges brown stuff a day or so after he eats the Scallop I feed him.

He used to hide once in a while but now has been in the same spot for about 6 months.

The first time it deflated I got all worried but I doubt there is an issue. They can go hide for a while but they usually come back out because they tend to need the light sooner or later.

I would stay positive. I had mine living behind the rocks to where you couldn't even see it without squeezing your head behind the tank.

Look to the left on the photo how large this thing is in my 220. I got it when it was small. The plate in the middle is 8" wide for reference. It is as big as my face.

Full-Old-Layout by Phastroh1, on Flickr

I guess if he attached and went in to the rocks... But he seemed to be getting worse and worse. Last night he wasn't attached whatsoever.

Back