What's your favorite salt?

I use Oceanic, but when I run out of my 3 buckets I may try oceanpure pro b/c of the rave reviews I've heard from SPS freaks. I like oceanic the best b/c I don't have to worry about calc or mag being too low for my sps, plus the potassium levels are higher than most brands. I'm like Yote, the semi-low alk is easily fixed, way easier than having a salt mix with 360ppm calc and needing to dose like mad

I pretty much stick with IO cause it's cheap and I can add the stuff it needs really cheap. But when the LFS is out I go for the Oceanic. I've never use any other brand so I try to stay with the 2 that I know.

Actually,if you price it buy the gallon made, Oceanic is the same or cheaper than IO. You are comparing a 160 gal. to a 200 gal. bucket. You also will not need to supplement your tank as much, if at all. More money saved!!!!!

Since I totally trust the opinion of my LFS, I use what they use on their own tanks :) I started with Crystal Sea (I think it was that name?), but they have switched to Tropic Marin after they had a long conversation with the Tropic Marin people, who took the time out to explain their process (of course there's lots of bias there from the TM people), but when they tested it on one of their tanks w/ corals, they said they noticed a big positive difference in how their corals reacted to TM, so they switched...and I went along with them.

I think I've been to 2 different LFS that actually use the same salt mix, which makes it that much harder for me to decide which one's best based on store owner's opinion. I just bought my first bucket of OceanPure Pro for $35 on sale, so when my Oceanic runs out next year, I'll see how this new stuff compares. Jeez its just SALT right? lol Just goes to show how much difference a little salt makes.

the LFS aren't going to be using expensive salt in their fish tanks. They may use better salt in their coral tanks, but if its a good LFS their corals go in and out fast and they don't worry about growth too much.

Back