Whelk Snails

BL1

It's been about 8 months and I'm just now realizing that most of the snails I got as hitchhikers are whelks. Up until now, I don't think I've had any problems and I found this article today Melev's Reef - What is a whelk? . So, should I not be worried unless I want to add a clam eventually?

As far as I know, the only reason people view them as pests is because they eat clams. They may be bad otherwise, but as far as I know, they're fine.

I have a clam and so far he's been fine but I have started to toss welks in my sump as i find them in the display tank. Just to be safe.

I have a clam and so far he's been fine but I have started to toss welks in my sump as i find them in the display tank. Just to be safe.
I'm just realizing how many Richard sent, I've been thinking they were nass. snails for the longest time. Maybe that's what I'll do, just toss them in my sump.

When I find welks,they go out in the yard.They seem to multiply like aiptasia or asterina stars in my tank.

I'm just realizing how many Richard sent, I've been thinking they were nass. snails for the longest time. Maybe that's what I'll do, just toss them in my sump.

Even in the sump they can find their way back into the main tank. I'd toss then down the toilet to be safe.

Just to make sure before I start tossing them ... here's one of them
Whelk_.jpg

That looks just like the ones that I bought as Nass'. I only have four of them and have, honestly, been thinking of tossing them myself when I got more info about what a Nass really looks like and does. Do yours EVER bury themselves in the sand? Mine NEVER do. Thats what is making me second guess mine. Just my :twocents:

No, they don't bury themselves, also with all of my nass snails (that I bought and know are nass snails) their foot is longer and extends past the back of their shell, whereas the whelks are much shorter from what I've read.

I have the red footed welks in my tank.I'll thin em out and then a week or two later I got just as many as I had to begin with.
They will kill and eat your other snails ( at least the red footed ones will ).

Dang I might have some too...they look just like the nass...I'll have to watch for which ones dont every bury themselves...

Mine's shell isn't spiraled, but just one solid dome, and it buries itself almost 24/7. Although, I think you're right with the big difference being the size of the foot, and also the color of the foot, as Yote said.

Another difference between common welks and Nass. snails is the color of the shell.Welks will have a darker coloring where Nass. are lighter.
What you have Brian are welks.

I heard that there is a difference in the direction that the "swirl" of the shell follows. Nassarius are one direction, whelks are the other. Can't remember the specifics though!

Back