Whelk Snails

I heard that there is a difference in the direction that the "swirl" of the shell follows. Nassarius are one direction, whelks are the other. Can't remember the specifics though!

I hadnt heard that.I'll have to put it to the test when I'm back in the LFS Wed. :D

Hmm yeah i would like to know more about the distinction too.. because what i bought as Nass snails from the LFS look more like the whelks people are posting than the Nass... they are fairly dark but they do bury themselves

I was sitting here wondering if I had any of these so called Welk snails. I was beginning to worry and then I remembered duh I don't have any snails anymore. Stupid. LOL

So what is the best way to get rid of them? I just realized that is what I have instead of Nassaruis. Do you really eat other snails?
Just pull them out of your tank when you see them.
Hmm yeah i would like to know more about the distinction too.. because what i bought as Nass snails from the LFS look more like the whelks people are posting than the Nass... they are fairly dark but they do bury themselves
If they bury themselves then they're most likely nass snails. They can have dark or light colored shells, it supposed to be the pattern on the whelk shell that distinguishes them.

+1 Brian
Welks will hide in the rocks during the day,coming out at night to hunt.Nass. will bury themselves in the sand and come out when food is present.

I have a black nass. snail that buries himself, thought it was a whelk too.

I also have a whelk (engina vonalis?) living in my sump. He hitchhiked on my live rock, and was about the size of a pencil tip when I first saw him. As of a couple weeks ago, he was nearly an inch long when I banished him from the display. I didn't want to kill him because he's so pretty, but I didn't want him in my tank either because of his predatory nature. If he makes it by the time I can get a refugium up, he'll go in there. He's just too cool.

Here's a pic of him during a massive algae outbreak. It's 95% gone now.
whelk.jpg

To be clear there is only two,vibrex and distortus(super tongan) nassarius that are considered 100% reef safe.I've have never read of anything bad from those two.

Saltwater Aquarium Snails for Marine Reef Aquariums: Nassarius Snail
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Super Tongan Nassarius Snail

There is alot of debate if bumble bee snails and onyx(Ilyanassa) nassarius are reef safe.I personally would not add these to my CUC.

Onyx Nassarius Snail, Black Mud Snail - Ilyanassa spp.
Bumble Bee Snail - Engina spp.

I have had bumblebee snails in my tank for years, and never seen them even close to corals, which I have read they sometimes munch on. If I had to start my tank all over again, I would not add bumblebee snails, though, just to be on the safe side. I have just heard too many stories about them eating corals for it not to be true.

I have had bumblebee snails in my tank for years, and never seen them even close to corals, which I have read they sometimes munch on. If I had to start my tank all over again, I would not add bumblebee snails, though, just to be on the safe side. I have just heard too many stories about them eating corals for it not to be true.

I've not heard of em eating corals.But I have seen em kill other snails.They'll also eat worms that live in the sand bed.

Back