when can i add?

Joeysmissy

Reefing newb
I found an anemone for $5 at the LFS and I really wanted to get it but I felt that maybe I should ask questions before purchasing something like that. Everyone there was busy attending other customers so I figured I would just ask some of you guys. My tank has been set up for 1 1/2 months. Could i get something like that without it dieing and would it be recommended? I forgot the name of it but i was pink with white tips on the tenticles. And if its not recommended, when CAN i add something like that?

Last edited:
Nevermind everyone. I found the answer on an old thread. Im glad I didnt buy it. It would have died. I dont know how to erase this thread

Hehehe. Glad you found what you were looking for Joeysmissy. Anemones are tough. You can definitely get some of the easier corals though. Mushrooms, zoanthids and leathers would all do fine in a new tank.

Hehehe. Glad you found what you were looking for Joeysmissy. Anemones are tough. You can definitely get some of the easier corals though. Mushrooms, zoanthids and leathers would all do fine in a new tank.

well I went back to the LFS to ask about corals and one of the guys there told me that it's not a good idea and that I should wait until it's been 6 months. But last month someone from the same store said I should wait til the first cycle is over..confusing

Last edited:
You can keep easy corals before 6 months. Like the ones I mentioned. It would be beneficial if you waited to keep more difficult ones. But the easier corals tend to be easier to keep than fish!

yup..I bought three chromis yesterday..so I now have four green chromis. I also got three astrea snails and two scarlet hermits.. what do I need in order to keep easy corals? protien skimmer? better lighting? power head? All i have now is a the kits filter, heater and the light..its an aquean kit

You'll need a better light than the one those kits come with to grow corals. And you should have at least one powerhead in your tank, generally you want about 10x turnover of the volume of your tank. And you should get a the reef master test kit from API

Definately a better light, but try to plan it out. If you ONLY want easy corals, you could get away with a compact flourescent lighting (CFL) system. That will allow you to keep most softies like mushrooms and some large polyp stony (LPS) corals, but not many. If you have plans for more advanced corals or clams, you may want to consider metal halide (MH) lighting.

i saw an add on craigslist about a 2 kent marine nautilus TE turbo-eductor skimmers..they dont have a price listed but would I be able to use that?

well i tried to look for the answer through old posts but i can find anything...im looking though ebay to try to get a powerhead.. but i dont know what the numbers have to do with the size of the tank or what gph means...what should i get for a 29 gal?

gph is gallons per hour. You want to get about 10 times the size of your tank turned over per hour, at a minimum. So you should pick a powerhead that pushes at least 300 gallons per hour.

Back