When should I do my first water change?

brittant

Dog Person in the Water
When should I do my first water change?

My tank (14 gal BioCube) is roughly 5-6 weeks old. I started with cycled water from another store. I have one fish, a few tiny inverts, and about 8 lbs. of live rock, I believe. My test strip results are as follows:

Nitrate: Roughly 40-80 ppm, vastly on the 40 end
Nitrite: 0-.5 ppm
pH: Roughly 8.0 or a little more
KH: 40-80 ppm

Thanks!

I think you need to get another 6 pounds of rock or so. What is the ammonia reading? You should have 0 on Ammonia as well as Nitrite. 40-80 is high Nitrate as well.

You might want to do a good size water change and bring down the nitrates and let me know what ammonia is at.

Robb

Last edited:
Ammonia and nitrates are the main thing to watch when cycling.
When these start to spike you can start doing large water changes, once a day if you have to. I started with a lot of really live rock so I was trying to minimize die-off from excessive ammonia.
When ammonia and nitrate settle down to safe levels, your cycle is over and you can switch to a regular water change interval.

My test strips actually don't have Ammonia on them... I've been taking my samples to the LFS the past few weeks. Would a 2 gallon change suffice? Part of the problem is the amount of distilled water I'd be able to carry back from the store by myself...

Also, part of the problem is that the person who was supposed to be fish-sitting this next week while I am on break cancelled suddenly, so I am struggling to find a replacement. Unfortunately, the tank is in a dorm and I will be at home in bed after surgery.

You really need to buy a test kits that can test for ammonia. 2 gallons is a little under 15% I think it would be a good start. I know Ammonia test are like $10 at the pet store, you might want to pick one up.

I'll try Thursday night; unfortunately, I'm in the middle of midterms, and don't have the 2-3 hours it takes to catch the shuttle and come back. :/

But thank you so much everyone.

Back