When to Add First SPS?

Navarchus

Almost smarter than a pig
I just set up my new tank about three weeks ago. I plan for this tank to be primarily SPS-centric. I know that a tank should be “established” before adding SPS, but I am not entirely sure what that means. My last tank was softies and fish for about a year and a half before I dabbled with montipora. I had great success back then, but I am hoping I don’t have to wait a year and a half before I add some montis and acropora to this tank. So, how do I determine if my tank is “established” enough to add SPS? Does it have something to do with H2O parameters, or is it more related to available food sources and microorganisms? What is the typical age of an “established” tank?

it takes atleast a minimum of around 6+ months for your tank to mature and start to level out. lots of people say dont even add SPS until about a year! it varys though depending what you have in your tank like rock etc. if you dont wait, start with something very cheap and go very very very very slow on adding more.

Last edited:
id say around six to eight months as well, and then around that time id add a montipora as those are the easiest of the SPS with acropora being the hardest

Thanks guys. Any idea what happens in those six to eight months to make the environment more amenable to SPS?

I will probably wait about a year to add acropora, but I guess the scientist in me is still curious about what causes the parameters to become more stablized over time.
My suspicion is that microorganisms and the likes are growing during this time. Interestingly, I have been googling the topic with search terms such as "wait before adding acropora" and "when to add first SPS" and Google returns this very discussion!

there is no magic date, watch your parameters, and when they look steady, and you're finished the algae cycle, you're good to go.

I guess the scientist in me is still curious about what causes the parameters to become more stablized over time.
My suspicion is that microorganisms and the likes are growing during this time. Interestingly, I have been googling the topic with search terms such as "wait before adding acropora" and "when to add first SPS" and Google returns this very discussion!
Reefkeeping.com is your friend. You should get a good idea of what's happening in a tank with these articles.

It's (in) the Water by Ronald Shimek

Organic Compounds in the Reef Aquarium

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria

Nice! These are great articles that definitely satisfy the scientist in me. I could kiss you, except for the fact that you have a Flyers logo, so I will just click the "thanks" button instead.

Back