When to add the microalgae

little_fish

So after reading quite a bit, I have a pretty good idea of when i can add fish and at what rate and some idea of what to add when, but i really have no idea I should/can add the microalgae and some of the invertebrates.

My current plan is to add a dwarf lion fish after i get my tank set up, it cycles and i QT for 3 weeks, so about 2 months after starting. I would really like to add some microalgae and some invertebrates, a few snails or maybe some larger shrimp or crabs, and get a population of pods established before i add anymore fish. I would love to add a starfish or a brittle star, but im not sure how to feed them or if i need to. But i don't know when i should add them in the first place. Also if i start my tank with RO water where are the microalgae going to get the nutrients needed to grow from? The other fish i would like to add, like the dwarf angel and some of the smaller butterflys, seem to like to be able to munch throughout the day. I figured it would take a few months to get enough algae growing and pods to make them happy. I would really like to have my tank set up so that the only fish i need to worry about feeding is the lion and simply supplement everyone else's dinning. Is this even possible?

Also what is a good way to set up a QT tank? Can i get one of those 10 gal kits, put some sand in the bottom and let it cycle also so that it has a biological filter?

A ten gallon tank is fine forget the kit. Don't put sand in the botton leave it bare. You should find some PVC pipe to put in there for hiding places to help with stress. Do big water changes to keep water parameters in check. If you have to treat with meds what ever you put in there will have to only be used for QT so no rock.

You can start adding inverts and your CUC after your tank cycles, same with the chaeto. As long as you have an adequate light source over the algae it should grow just fine. As far as the starfish go, most will eat chopped shrimp, mussels, mysis, and some will even eat algae from your tank.

So with the QT tank, when and how much water should I be changing? How often should i be checking the water parameters?

Also i will have 55 gal main tank, once the tank has cycled what is a good schedule of monitoring the water parameters and doing water changes?

I'm fairly new to this but, I'd say you'll want to do about a 10-20% water change every 1-2 days. You want to keep all your readings as close to 0 as you can. You'll probably have to make your own schedule for monitoring your water, it will probably be more often when you first set up your tank, and will probably get less the longer you have it. And once your DT has cycled you'll probably want to do water changes every week.

Back