When To Be Worried ???

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
My Tomatoe Clown Has Now Been In My Tank Since May 11th.
He Seemed To Be Doing Great... Making Homes In The Caves Of The Rock. Swimming Around....
Well I Noticed That He Was Slowly Beginning To Eat Less And Less. Now I Know That I Should Switch to Frozen Food Which I Will Be Doing Asap. Now Today Is The 21st And Last Night Was The First Night I Didnt See Him Eat Any Of The Flakes Along With This Morning... So When Should I Really Be Worried????
I Have Been Doing Water Changes... Did 2 Since I Put Him In The Tank, 5 Gallons A Time.. Everything With The Water Seems Fine. Now I Have Test For Phosphates Yet Cause I Dont Have That Test "yet" But Doing The Water Canges Should Help With That And The Nitrates. He Does Look Sick At All, Eyes Are Clear ,breathing Looks Normal, He Still Has Bright Color. I'm Hoping He Is Just Being Hard Headed.

Last edited:
how many times you feed him a day??...with your description it looks like hes healty..cause hes swiming around .."breathing" correctly etc...like i told you before, mine eats somtimes a lot somtimes just a few flakes..it doesnt seems to me that hes ill....maybe he needs some company..other fishes around him, and some inverts..to feel himself more like home...its an interesting issue, lets wait what the rest of the forum has to say about this..ok my friend!!

yeah sounds to me that he is doing fine. as long as his breathing looks fine and is swimming around like normal,he should be fine. once you switch to frozen, you may see him start to eat a little more

Try frozen and see if that helps.If that doesn't work I hear garlic extract works,I believe good fish stores carry it.Kent Marine Garlic Extreme comes to mine.,it also helps fight off fungal/bacterial diseases also.If its been eating and now has stopped it could be an early sign of disease/illness but lets see if frozen doesn't help first.

Good luck

Ray,Just as a precaution,go through and check you peremeters.Salinity,akalinity,ammonia,nitrite,and temp and PH.
Hope he gets to eattin soon.I knkow it'll drive you crazy when your fish stop eatting.

Fishes eat to staisfy their energy requirements. Once a fish has sated its appetite, it does not matter what mix of proteins and lipids or what amounts of food you offer, they are not going to eat. Fishes, not hobbyists, determine the fishes maximum caloric intake. Variety, flakes, freeze dried, frozen are a good mix. food older than six. months should be discarded. only use good quality and feed appropriately, both are different issues.

Just some background hope it helps to understand some of the reasons fish do not eat.
https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/saltwater-aquarium-articles/1293-new-arrival-wont-eat.html

still more back ground you might consider.
https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/...ticles/1544-fish-stress-primer-must-read.html

Keep us posted. it is very likely your fish is just taking a break. hopefully nothing is wrong. good luck

Last edited:
I Am Keep An Eye On Mator, Now He Is Just Hanging Close To The Rock Base. I Am Going To Take A Water Sample To My Lfs. See What They Say. It Always Figures With Me..... I Take My Time, Try To Do Everything Right. And My Luck I Still Have Trouble. But Not To Worry, Keeping My Head Up. Its Funny..... I Have A Couple Friends At Work That Are Joking With Me All The Time AboutHow I am So Careful Or Technical For Them, They Have Saltwater Aquariums Also, And Just Put Fish Right In A New Tank With No Problems ...... Life Is Funny

cmon RAY....head up...i hope everyting resolves ok...ive have my ups and downs too in this hobbie...we all had...and great losses too in $...thats the way we learn somtimes.....your gonna do great !!! just keep doing things rigth, as you are doing....remember..theres gonna be some downs still as you go..we are working recreating life...so every organism can act a way will never understand..cause thats life...so keep it kiking..thats the fun about this hobbie my friend!!

May 24th, My Tomatoe Clown Is Still With Us, But Still Cant Figure Out The Problem. EverYtime I Think She Will Not Make It Through The Night She Does. Its Been A Week Since She Ate, Unless She Pick Little Things Off The Bottom That Go Past Her, But I Dont Think So. I Keep Checking My Parameters And Still Look Ok To Me. I Am Going Tomorrow To The Lfs Where I Purchaced Her And Have Them Test My Water To Make Sure Everything Is Ok. Then I'm Getting A "good" Water Test Kit. No More Strips Right Reef (lol) So I'm Looking Forward And Staying Positive.
Also Going To Tweek Some Of My Equiptment. I Am Taking Off My Whisper 40 And Going To Get An Emperor 250. I Would Get The 400 But It's Just A Little Too Big. Also I Think I Might Try To Add The Coraline Skimmer 65 And One More Powerhead To Move The Water A Little More. Wish Me Luck !!! Keep Those Fingers Crossed For The Clown !!! What Does Everyone Think About The Green Chromis And The Citron Goby???? Let Me Know.

Sounds like your doing everything you can.Who knows maybe Mator will pull through.I would wait awhile before adding anymore fish though.When the time comes Chromis will be fine,dunno about the Citron,if its like many other gobies,it may need sand with a large pod population,maybe wait even longer for that one.

Good idea about adding a skimmer and additional flow,try having one powerhead near the top for surface agitation.Although your tank has cycled,it doesn't really become stable til months later.Things will get better and good luck.Keep us posted.

"mator" looks a little better!!!! he is not laying on is side and i put some baby brine shrimp in the tank and he loked like he went for some..... but I still do think I'm in the clear yet !! but I will keep everyone posted !

You wont regret adding the skimmer and power heads.
Im thinking like Reef,I'd hold off on adding any more fish untill you figure out whats going on with mater.
After you get your water tested,Let us know what the results are.

This just came to mind,Do you use a hydrometer or a refrectmeter to test your salinity?I remember reading where a guy crashed his tank because of a faulty hydrometer.

Yeah, I Use A Hydrometer By Instant Ocean, It Reads Right Around 1.023 . I Check It With Freshwater To Make Sure It Changes And It Does. Also I Make Sure That When I Did Both Water Changes It Read The Same 1.023. So We Will See Tomorrow. I Will Keep Everyone Posted

Back