When to start with Corals

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
Should I wait a year before adding corals to my tank? When is the best time to add them. I have no prior experience with corals and am interested in starting with something colorful, but relatively easy. My tank has been up and running as a FOWLR since March (this year). I'm pretty sure it's too early, and that is why I am asking when the best time is. I know many of you keep various corals and could really use your advice. Thanks!

I dont remember the specs on your lights.But I'd say you can start with a few of the easy corals.Zoanthids and button polyps are great to start with,so is Xenia,most leathers,mushrooms,things of that nature.

When you can keep stable water conditions you are ready for corals. Given that you have the proper lighting.

I currently have a 72" Hamilton metal halide reef lighting system. It has 3x175 bulbs and ballast. And 2x160 VHO actinics. The bulbs are 2 Reeflux 12k and 1 XM 14k.

RO/DI unit before you start corals!!!! Ask me how I know$$$$$$$ Trust your own water!! AND Yes establish your tank for at least a year!!! Or you can start with mushrooms and Zoa's! They look good cheap! hard to kill!

Back