Where did everyone go??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Aquarian, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Aquarian

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

:);):thumbsup::LOL:

I haven't had any tanks in a couple of years :( . When my foxface died, I ended up sending the fish to someone with a larger tank (and they are thriving there) I tossed the old 125g. I'm planning to start one up again, but it will likely be smaller. I kept all my LED lights and Octopus skimmer and most of the other stuff.

But yes....life gets in the way :) Miss you all!!!

wontonflip, Sep 30, 2018
    Rcpilot and sen5241b like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Aquarian

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

Wow!!!! its Graytch!!!!!

motorcyclereefer, Oct 9, 2018
    wontonflip likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Aquarian

I know....cower in my short presence :p . Hi sen! RC! I'm around. Still no tank yet. In my head, I've got a bowfront brewing. Problem is I would prefer another large tank so I can get another Foxface but we rearranged the basement so no room for a tank...no more sump room. But we'll see!

wontonflip, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Aquarian

sen5241b

Space even for a small tank can be problematic.

sen5241b, Oct 9, 2018
  5. Aquarian

Yeah and I would love to have another 6' long in my living room but hubs is worried the floors won't support it. Plus we just did our floors so I would hate to have a flood.

wontonflip, Oct 15, 2018
  6. Aquarian

Rcpilot

My 180 is proving to be quite expensive and ..... BIG. I bought a 55g tank (sump) from Petco during their tank sale. Also picked up a 40g breeder.
    I have a Reef Octopus 150-INT skimmer for this tank. It's a little on the small side, but the tank won't have much of a bioload. Planning for very few fish.
    Anyway, I put the skimmer in the 55g sump the other day. It easily takes up 1/3 of the tank. Now thinking I need a larger sump.

I want to use the 40g breeder as a display refugium and mount it with the top rim about 6 inches above the 180g. That would allow it to naturally drain via overflow box, back into the display.

That's a LOT of space for all that stuff. It's going to take over a 12x12 bedroom. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Rcpilot, Oct 19, 2018
    Becky likes this.
  7. Aquarian

dantimdad

Is there anything that someone new to this forum can do to perk things up?

I have been doing this a long time.

I have grown tired of the fanboys and negative folks on the other forums. I still post on one but would love to be on another where folks aren't so negative.

I could do a series of DIY tutorials. I am about to do another black box mod (well white box in this case). I could do a step by step of it. I have a step by step of replacing a broken panel in a 93 cube. I am about to drill a 150 for a friend. The list goes on and on and on.

Let me know if I can help!

dantimdad, Nov 7, 2018
  8. Aquarian

Becky

That's very kind of you @dantimdad! Posting topics and answering queries is always welcome :)

Becky, Nov 8, 2018
    dantimdad likes this.
  9. Aquarian

dantimdad

I will create a thread as soon as I get started on the light.

:)

dantimdad, Nov 8, 2018
    Becky likes this.
  10. Aquarian

I'd post more, but alas, I no longer have a saltwater. I am actually about to get a macaw LOL Also an expensive pet, so the saltwater will have to wait, or I'll have to settle for some type of nano.

wontonflip, Nov 13, 2018
  11. Aquarian

JohnVH Reefer Madness VIP Member

I was wondering why things seemed have slowed down. even the local fish forum here in Winnipeg literally died domain expired and there was nothing going on for the longest time. I'm in the middle of starting a 200 gallon build that I posted in the Showcase Forum. Just finished building the cabinet and canopy. Have all the equipment just waiting on the sump. I will be trying to post more as the build continues.

Attached Files:

JohnVH, Dec 3, 2018
    wontonflip, dantimdad and Becky like this.
  12. Aquarian

Big K

I stopped posting on here when the "tank showcase" changed to the current blog type format. Very hard to navigate. Not that I was a huge poster before. Also, my work is crazy and I've let my tanks go to crap.

Currently revving back up to get my tanks show able again. Prowling around the site...

Big K, Dec 26, 2018
  13. Aquarian

SarahSmile :)

I find this depressing.

SarahSmile, Apr 1, 2019
  14. Aquarian

dantimdad

Me too.

dantimdad, Apr 1, 2019
  15. Aquarian

Ian Administrator

It does look like a lot of the old members have moved on or no longer have tanks - it's become a lot harder to keep forums active these days (although the pond site twinned with this one is still pretty busy). What sort of things would you guys like to see that differentiates this site from the others out there?

Ian, Apr 1, 2019
    Becky likes this.
  16. Aquarian

SantaMonica

One trick is to cross-promote with events like macna, where you promote their event on the forum, and they put your banner on their site, or they include a flyer in their gift bags (you would print them first).

Any event or site that has aquarium people will work, and the smaller ones will be easier and quicker to set up.

SantaMonica, Apr 1, 2019
    Ian and Becky like this.
  17. Aquarian

Such a bummer it dropped off. This site has always been so nice and encouraging. A lot of them aren't.
    Little Fish was amazing and sort of kept everything going. She was positive and encouraging and didn't let posters bully others. people need to have a safe place to ask questions.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    SarahSmile, Apr 2, 2019
    Ian and Becky like this.
  18. Aquarian

Ian Administrator

Yeah she was a really great moderator - very encouraging to new members. Is anyone here still in contact with her or any of the other old members?

Ian, Apr 9, 2019
  19. Aquarian

After my favorite (and first) fish died (My Foxface in my avatar -- Buster), I lost heart, and rehomed my fish and tore down the tank. And I had JUST bought $700 worth of LED lights, too, which I still have. One day I will restart one, but smaller. Life happens.

I've kept in touch with MCR of course. He keeps in touch with many, still. Right now I have a Blue & Green Macaw LOL

I miss littlefish, too. We all used to have fun in the chat rooms lol

wontonflip, Apr 13, 2019
  20. Aquarian

Hi Wonton :)
    Yeah, January 2015 I put a new fish in my recently moved tank and everyone but my goby got ich and died. It was horrible. Then my sweet, beautiful mother died unexpectedly the same week. I stopped posting and left the tank running with just goby for a long time. I was just barely making it thru each day.
    When I finally decided to begin restocking (a year later maybe) I came on this site and saw everyone was gone. :(
    It was crazy timing. I still have my tank and love it. But I have two little kids now and am busier. :)

SarahSmile, Apr 13, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question