Where do I go from here?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
It looks like my tank is just about ready for some life! I am still waiting for my nova t5 and my ramora pro to show up, then I will be getting some life in there! Problem is, I don't really know where to start. I'm guessing my first fish will be a pair of clowns, since our 3 year old has been asking for nemo for 6 weeks now. My wife has a work friend who wants to give us some clippings? From what my wife described, it sounds like Green Star Polyps. Which should I do first, or can I do both at relatively the same time. I keep reading not to rush in, so I want to go about this right. Also pods, everyone says they are beneficial, and there were some critters scooting around when I first got the LR, but it all seemed to have died in the cycle. Will these just show up again, or do I have to find some to add now? Thanks yet again gang

Last edited:
Do you have a clean up crew? If so it's time fish. Try and decide on what fish you want in advance. If you don't know anything about a fish leave it. Do research before you buy this way you'll know what your getting.

I have a small clean up crew, 3 hermits and 3 snails. I don't really know how much I'll need, and if there is enough in there for a large crew to live off of at this point. I'm green..... lol

If you don't have Turbos I recommend them. They are great at cleaning up algea. I would get more snails for sure. I for one do not like hermit crabs. They kill my snails for their shells. I even have extra shells all over the tank.

I will look into more snails before I go with fish then. What about shrimp? Are they good at the start, or after the tank is more established?

When are your lights and skimmer commming? The first thing I would do is get a clean up crew. Which consist of snails,hermits,and shrimps. I got my shrimp the same time I got my snails and they did fine. After you have your clean up crew then I would add a fish or two. Remember not to add too much at a time. Do you have a tank pic posted on site some where?

I am hoping the skimmer and lights show up this week. I already have 3 snails 3 crabs, but thats it. If you look in the showcase forum under the title "Trying Again" you will see my tank

Your rock looks real good. Has your tank fully cycled? Believe me you'll know when you need more snails.

I believe it has. I never had an ammonia spike, but my nitrites were above 5, my nitrates over 40. Right now my ammonia and nitries are at 0, my nitrates somewhere between 10-20, ph is 8.2. It has been cycling for about 4 weeks with rock, and another 2 with live sand and substrate from LFS.

That happens quie often when you cycle with LR. I say your all ready to go once you get your lights and skimmer. What kind did you get?

nova t5's 4X39W. I also have 2X21 t5's here, I'll probably run both. And an aquaC Ramora pro for the skimmer. I also have another koralia powerhead coming.

Good to see your starting off with some good stuff. Hopfully you'll get it this week. Not sure if you done any research on snails. I got this info from Reef when I was starting out.

Tongan and smaller Nassarius(stirs the sandbed,detrius,fishfood,anything that dies)
Astraea,Trochus Snails(diatoms,brown algae)
Mexican Turbo snails(hair algae)
Fighting and Queen Conch,Bubble Bee Snails(algae,scavengers)
Emerald Crabs(algae...warning:when they get larger they become aggressive,maybe going after a small fish.)
Cerith snails(stirs the sandbed,scavenger,algae)

I would avoid getting shrimp just yet. they tend to be really sensitive to water quality and like to have balanced parameters. If you are still a new set up your parameters can change fast. Best to wait about 3 months for a shrimp. THey are a pretty expensive mistake if they die. drop in a few astrea snails and an emerald crab and see how things go for a few days, then look to add a fish.

-Doc

I agree with Doc. Skip the shrimp for now. All you need is a little ppm of nitrates to kill them off... I would stick with the cleaner crew you have right now, add a fish or two, and then add more of a cleaner crew as needed. I, like Piggy, would suggest skipping hermit crabs. Go with a mix of different types of snails instead.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies so far. I've gotten more help in one day than I did in six weeks at some other places. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure their intentions were good, but I was told I'd fail without a sump, my choice in lighting was crap, the AquaC is garbage, etc. It just seemed like they were trying to up-sell me on everything.

Typical thread:

"If I decide to go with an overflow box in the future, who makes a good, reliable one?"

"Nobody, they are all junk and will fail. Drill your tank."

"I don't want too, I can't find someone to drill, and my tank is full and cycling"

"Pull all your stuff out, put in bins, drill that tank and get a sump set up. This will be the most important thing you do."

"OK then. Where/what size holes should I drill?"

"Drilling is risky, you are better to buy a new pre-drilled tank and ditch your old one."

"Old one? I bought it three weeks ago for 300 bucks?!?"

"Thats how this hobby goes" "BTW, Hows your lighting?"

"I'm thinking of the nova t5. It looks like a decent light, not the best but in my budget"

"Its garbage, doesn't have individual reflectors, for a few bucks more buy a tek. This is the most important thing you will do"

"Up here teks are over twice the cost, I'm not ready to spend that at this time. I don't mind playing the upgrade game as long as the stuff I buy now is decent and reliable"

"I think you're making a big mistake. If you don't really have 3-5 grand to get setup, maybe you should put everything on hold until you do. You will be alot happier in the end."

Anyways, you guys are alot more optimistic....... :mrgreen:

Thats because we're all working class folks.:Buds:

Most of us started out with HOB filters and stuff and built from there.
Besides,On this forum.We take pride in actually trying to help instead of telling folks their gonna crash their tanks if they dont do it our way.

Don't get me wrong, I've done alot of reading on the subject of sumps lately. But they had me so frazzled and convinced I had to spend my life savings, I was arguing with the wife about it.......and that spells disaster quick!

LMAO
Arguing with the wife is a sure fire way to end up sleeping in your tank.Been there,Done that.
I've seen a lot of successful reefs run with just HOB filters,some with only live rock and a good skimmer.Heck,I ran my 30gal with just 2-HOB filters for almost a year and never had any problems with it.
Sumps are great to have.They allow you to get equipment out of your display and add water volume.But IMO,There one of those handy items,but not a have or crash thing.

I started my 55 gallon tank 2 years ago without a sump, a cheapo SeaClone skimmer (SUCKS!), everything hanging off the back... Slowly learned more, upgraded, added an Aqua C Remora Pro, Nova Extreme T5s, an overflow box, a sump, OVER TIME... And I had a pretty awesome tank, if I do say so myself. Now, since I upgraded to a 240, I used what I had previously learned, and did what I wanted from the start. There's nothing wrong with starting "small" and making changes as you go. You can have an awesome tank for a few hundred dollars. Those people who made those comments above are LOSERS. And they're wrong.

Back