Where do I go from here?

Oh Ok I know what your talking about. I used one when I first started but took it out after a couple of days. Package said when it was saturated it would release it back into the tank. Is there a way to tell when it is loaded other than waking up and finding my nitrates back to 180+?
Is absorbtion resin the same thing. I have that in the sump on top of the bio-balls. Is the nitrate sponge regeneratable like the resin?

If you can maintain your nitrates below 40 until you get a skimmer, not to worry. Nitrates do not just come down and stay down. nitrates are in the sand, the rocks, on surfaces, and in the nooks and crannies, in your bio balls and in any filter media that is over 10 days old. The protein skimmer is to extract protein before it can be broken down to ammonia, nitrite and then nitrate. so until you have a decent skimmer on your system i would not get too much more excited with the water changes, but do keep them up. as you do a water change the nitrates will be removed to a great extent based on the dillution i.e. the answer to pollution is dillution, however, as soon as the water change is completed, nitrates will leach back into the water collum from all the places memtioned above. If you have any detritus accumulating in the sump below the bio balls you need to siphon it out when you do your water changes as well as a lite dusting off of the rocks and sand and corners just before the water change. this will remove detritus and also help with the nitrate problem. hope something here helps. keep up posted.

Thanks so much!
Nitrates down to almost 20 ( not quite reading 20 but closer than to 40)
Phosphates still between .4&.6
I bought a "phosphate sponge" from Kent and plan on replacing the absorbtion resin with this for now.
" Di Nitrate" (sp???) running inside the filter on my powerhead.
How often do I need to do water changes to maintain this?
Been doing 20- 25 gal. twice a week.

If your nitrates test below 20 and are staying there, you can cut your water changes to once per week and see what happens. if nitrates remain under 20 at once per week keep it up until your skimmer is in place and opperating correctly, and if you have adjusted your feeding, makeup water, new salt water, and maintenance to deal with nitrates you might be able to reduce the percentage of water change or lengthen the time between changes, but, for now concentrate on getting the skimmer going and then you can make minor changes in your water changes and keep testing for couple weeks after to see how the water parameters react, and you will eventually know what your system needs. good luck and keep us posted. oh and good idea on the phosphate pad. even though the reading is low it is still high enough to create a problem. let us know how all is going when you can.

I'm having a hard time getting my cal. up. After reading in a few different places Im thinking it's the salt. (instant ocean) So I thought Id try Kalkwasser (sp?) only the lfs doesn't carry it. I read in a few places on here that pickling lime is the same thing. Is this really safe? I can get that at Kroger, but Ive hauled tooooo much water to do something stupid now!!!!
How much do I use if so?

As a last thought here, you might consider using Kent Marine OSMO PREP to reconstitute your RO water and set up a base for the salt addition. just a thought. good luck.

Thanks, Im not sure what that is. Will this help with the low cal. and alk., or is it like a buffer? (Or was that a redundant question) Chem was a long time ago and I think I forgot most of it right after my last exam!! I was thinking about switching to Kent salt also. Its the only other one the fish store sells.

A question about skimmers?

Since I have to buy a new one I'm hoping I can talk my husband into fixing up a way to put it under the tank instead of HOB.

How Hard is this to do? ( The last thing he wants to do when he gets home from overseas is Honey do's)

Assuming its not too big a job and expense
What are some good skimmers?
Ive seen some that say HOB or in sump. Could I get one of these and then convert when I can talk him into it?

Converting myself is not listed as an option. I know how to use a screw driver and a hammer only ( Mine are the plastic kind sold by playschool )

We have talked about the Remora so thats the price range if possible.

What are my best options?

well 1st things 1st. start a thread in the newbie forum. You will get more activity there. now as for the salt. If you use Kent marine you should not need Kent Marine OSMO PREP. OSMO PREP reconstitutes the ro water to a base level of calcium, minerals, etc which makes your water more stable and helps maintain alkalinity, calcium, ph, etc. There are some varying opinions on which salt to use. I can only tell you that I will be using Kent Marine and will also use OSMO Prep at 1/4 the recommended dosage when i am fully stocked. on the protein skimmer there are a lot out there. to put the protein skimmer under the cabinet you will need a sump, a small pump to feed the protein skimmer and another pump to push water back to the aquarium and if the system is not predrilled in the bottom you will need an over flow. I like the Euro reef brands and normally an insump skimmer cannot be converted to an outside stand alone skimmer. There have been quite a few posts on the site on skimmers, and also there are some articles in the saltwater/helpful article forum on skimmers. everyone seems to have their preferences so shop around for opinions and when you kind of decide on one post a thread in the newbie forum and Im sure you will get plenty of advice. hope this helps. good luck, start your thread in the newbie forum and I will visit you there form time to time. thanks for all the great questions. just remember that what works for one may not work for the other, so, do your research and when selected before you purchase post a note for input form our site.

Back