Where do you get your Live Rock?

DesoShade

I'm a noooooob
I've been keeping my eyes open trying to find some affordable live rock for my 30 gal, but to no avail. I only need about 15 pounds of live rock and to be honest, that's about all I can afford (I have to miss some work because of JURY DUTY CRAP! :frustrat:), but my lfs sells LR for $10 per pound and all the online stores seem to carry it only in large quantities of 35 pounds +.

So where do you all get your rock? Know of any online stores that sell LR cheap and at lower quantities of about 15 pounds?

i get live rock from my LS 3.00-7.oo$ a pound when i have the money but when i dont i buy dead rock then cure it with 5 pounds o live

I'm thinking about going to my lfs today and getting a one pound rock for 10 bucks and maybe a dry rock. That would give me a total of 3 pounds in my tank. haha. 2 one pound live rocks and one pound dry. eh.

taking your time is the smartest part of the hobby. Even though you see the fast progress on some threads, that doesn't mean all is well. Many times, tanks look great when all kinds of livestock is added, but the bioload is pushed too hard and POW...crash. Add what you can afford, but save for what you really want. Now is the time to read up on livestock, corals, etc to see what you really want in your tank. Make it yours. Don't try to imitate something that is not you. If all you can do is a few pounds a pay period, great. You are building your piece of heaven. You will be proud to show it off and we all appreciate you doing it right. Best of luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Both sets of Liverock I have purchased were form an established tank with lots of groth for 2$ a lb. Check craigslist, or check if there is a local forum site setup. We have bostonreefers which is local to my area. That is where I found the live rock I purchased...Great way to meet people in the area also into the hobby as well...
Just my . 02....

I was talking to my LFS guy today and he sells LR for $4.99 a lb... If you buy in 90-100lb increments you get it for $2.00 a pound, no shipping charges, just pick it up at the store, not a bad deal...

Hmm. thanks for the link Biff. I checked it out and it's cool because you can order the rock by the pound. BUT I did find this website I'd like you to take a look at for me if you get a chance. Would be awesome. I'm not sure what to think of it. they charge about $3 per pound with no minimum order. Since I live in Maryland, they will ship it at a flat $15 and I think they also tack on a $10 packaging fee. So once you ad the rocks, shipping, and packing, do you think this would still be an ok deal?
Here's the link http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/ShowProductCategory.aspx?CategoryId=5
You all probably know a little more about purchasing LR than I do.

OH! and about the cured/uncured. Uncured is cheaper. Since there are no fish in my tank yet, is it okay to get uncured rock?

Yep,
As a matter fact,uncured rock is perfect for cycling a new system.
just remember to leave a window close to the tank open with a fan blowing out.
Uncured rock will stink,But you'll be surprised at just how many critters will live through the curing process.

That looks like a good deal to me. How many lbs are you thinking of ordering?

If you want to spend a little bit more and go with the Tonga fusion instead of Fiji, I used a lot of Tonga fusion that I bought at my LFS in my tank, and that is some really nice looking rock. You could go with a mix of the two. But Fiji alone is also really good rock.

Deso
If you wanted to you get yourself 15 or 20 pounds of dry base rock, pretty cheap.Then with 10 to 15 pounds of the rock your looking at.You'd be set.
BTW.That looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Hmm. Sounds like a plan. I'll get about 15 pounds from that online store and then 15 pounds of base. About how long would it take for the base to turn live?

Back