Where should I get my water from?

surfsca

Reefing newb
I want to have a live reef and read that its bad to use tap water with water conditioner and my tap water is really hard with a pH or like 8.0. So that leaves me with a few other options. I was wondering about getting a reverse osmosis filter or something like that for my house. Does anyone know how I would set this up. I saw a video where they had a couple trash cans next to one in a garage. Do the trash cans have to sit there all the time or just when you're filling the tank and doing water changes? Also how do you heat the water do you put a tank heater in the trash can? Now if I cant do the reverse osmosis filter I heard I could go to the fish store to get water maybe I could start off with tap water and then go there for all my water changes to avoid having to buy ten five gallon jugs. The last option and is to go to a local pureflow well where people pump their own drinking water but id have to run alot of tests myself on it and I think it does have some chlorine.

Thanks for you help,
surfsca

You'd want to look at an RO/DI filter system - and get one that is capable of making water for your water changes (the larger your tank, the larger capacity RO/DI you will need) Bulk Reef Supply sells a 6 stage that would work well, you just need to determine the size. The filter setup will run you about $150, and you'll need to change the filters once a year - but you will save yourself endless algae headaches using good water

You'd be looking at something like this:
75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage Standard System - English
There is another vendor that several people have used on here, but I dont recall what that vendor was, I'm sure someone else will chime in

Exactly what Northstar said. Also please don't use tap water to start up - you'll only be causing yourself headaches down the road. If you absolutely can't wait until you get your RO/DI, at least you do have the option you mentioned - of buying water from your LFS. But that's costly, and will take lots of trips in order to start up your 55 (56?)

I personally ordered an RO/DI from Spectrapure, along with their Drinking Water kit. Now we always have filtered water, ice, so my wife approved of my purchase! :)

Also concerning your heater question...exactly. You would probably mix your saltwater in the trash can and heat it (buy another heater specifically for that purpose) to use for water changes.

Good luck!
-bk

Last edited:
Some Wholefoods and Wal-marts have a RO machine. I lug containers and fill them up. You might also try distilled water from your supermarket.

One option I looked at was to buy pre made water (salt included) from my LFS. Ended up much cheaper buying a RODI unit and a 30 gallon trash can. My unit can make 75 gpd, but I only fill the can once a month or so. I do a 10 gallon change bi-weekly and have enough to top off my ATO tank from the 30 gallons produced.

I mix my water in individual 5 gallon containers. I let it sit for the two weeks between changes. Mixing it with a spare power-head and heat it with a spare heater. Even though I have two heaters in my sump, I figure that having a spare on hand cant hurt, so its used to heat the staged water. It only takes 1/2 hour to heat it in the 5 gallon bucket anyway.

I got my RODI unit from Buckeye Field Supply. Good price and GREAT customer service. Google them and take a look.

Back