Where should I start?

JGxIronman

Reefing newb
So, I have a 35 gallon tank and a 10 gallon QT tank. I would like the QT tank to be a 24/7 set-up. But first I need to work on my main tank. So where should I start? I only have one store to buy everything from here in town So I am very limited.

I am going to try to get some live sand from some one in Alaska, from what I read most people do not recommend bagged live sand because the stuff in there may have already died. They due recommend however dry aragonite because it becomes live over time.

But first I think I need to focus on building my sump. I have a filter a buddy gave me at Eheim classic 350 and that is all I have so far. Any recommendations to go from there?

You should buy online, if possible. There is so much more selection and much better prices. For equipment, you can easily pay double if you buy it from a fish store.

Dry sand is the way to go to save money. It will become live over time, as you said. For a small tank like yours, I wouldn't even use the filter. Unless kept very clean, they can actually contribute to high nitrates. It's easier to just do water changes (which you'd have to do anyways with a canister filter).

Is the tank drilled? If not, you will have to either buy an overflow box or build your own in order to connect it to the sump.

So, basically I should sell the filter? Or is there other ways to applicate it? Maybe in a QT tank? or something?

And no my tank is not drilled.

Okay so what all goes into a sump? I understand a protein skimmer and this is all held in a box. What else Woulld I put in there?

Thanks for starting this post! I have the same questions as you right now. You're not alone. And its great to see a fellow airman on the forums! Hey from the east coast! :D

Back