Where to begin......

I would just start using RO/DI or distilled water, during both your water changes and top off.

No need to start all over. I would just hold off on introducing anything sensitive, like LPS, SPS, shrimp etc until you have had a chance to replace most of your water. But if you want i think the soft corals would do fine, like leathers or mushrooms.

lol, damn ur moving fast..... (not necessarily a good thing)

#1) Are you just starting your cycle on the tank? If so make sure you get some good decay goin on. A raw shrimp works well just let it decay to feed your bacteria.

#2) You can look in the DIY section for tons of DIY Sump builds to keep you busy :)

#3) Most ppl paint the back yes, whatever works for you /shrug

#4) The best place to find the best value for live rock is from local reefers breaking down their tanks, check out craigslist or local reefer forums and look for some good deals.

#5) I would run the filter, just keep it cleaned out regularly. You want to eventually replace it tho.

#6) Use RO/DI water from now on, just use it when you do your regular water changes. You might have a heavy diatom bloom and some probs with algae for a bit untill all the nutrients work their way out. but it should all balance out.

#7) You should already be looking at equipment not a 120g gonna need the specs on the skimmer to be able to design your sump. Maybe you should buy a big skimmer if you have plans to upgrade... Same goes for lights. However the lights you have will be ok for Fish only for now :)

You guys are worrying about silly little stuff like UV and a filter...
Your focus should be more on your cycle since you already started... and the equipment your gonna need. (AND TEST KITS! ;))

Hi Ulta, I am moving fast.....but that is because I am about a month behind since we had started the 15 gallon tank.

#1 - I just started this tank up on Sunday. So I assume this means it is just starting to cycle? Am I going to get the decay going on already? I thought I needed a light to get things going properly?

#2 - I will take a look in the DIY, was just wondering if someone knew of a perticular thread with a really good set up and good detailed information on making it.

#3 - I will paint the 65 Gallon somehow likely....But I think I have a new plan for 125 Gallon whenever I get there.

#4 - I do like this idea, but I think I will just stick with the 50/50 live/dry rock. After reading I dont know if I want to risk what someone else has done or not done with their old tank. If they are breaking it down, Its possible that they have simply stopped caring for the system. I am not sure I want to risk bringing someones old problems into my tank. I like this dry rock idea people have mentioned.

#5 - Filter was off, but is now back on.....I cant make up my mind on this since people are giving mixed answers. Hopefully this will soon change though if I can get the sump built soon.

#6 - I will do this going forward for sure. Do I need a RO/DI system or can I buy this in large amounts at a water purifying store?

#7 - This is the plan right now. I will transfer everything to the larger tank when it is needed.

Thank you very much for your info, I appreciate the help :)

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, its much better to move slowly.

Also you dont need light to cycle a tank. You need a source of ammonia to cycle a tank, which would come from some sort of die off in the tank, such as throwing a piece of shrimp in there.

You can buy water and port it to your house, but it gets really old quick. Having a unit in your house will save you soooo much time and money in the long run.

Here is the reason why were are telling you to ditch the filter: All the crud that passes through the filter gets caught up in the filter pad. Most of that crud is organic in nature, and will break down to nitrates (which is the end product of the nitrogen cycle), the nitrates are free to go back into your water column. The nitrates are lethal to corals and other inverts, and will cause out of control algae growth. So unless you are up to changing the filter pad every 3 or 4 days, i would just unplug it.

Many people do keep the filters, but only run them with a new pad, 3 or 4 days every month to "polish" the water. You should not rely on it to be your main source of filtration - that is what the rock and sand is for.

Thanks Little fish, The filter is currently unplugged. I understand that this is a slow hobby, I have nothing wrong with that as I plan on keeping busy with my plans for the larger tank while I am setting this one up. What exactly do you mean by a piece of shrimp? Just buy a shrimp from LFS and chop it up?

There is still a hermit alive right now. I assume he will not live through the actual cycle?

Actually you can just use a piece of uncooked table shrimp. Just cut up a small piece of it and throw it in there for a couple of days.

If you moved your rock strait from the 15 to the 65, then you might not have a cycle, but you need to check before you add any live stock.

I would also wait to do the cycle stuff when you have all your rock in there, or at least most of it.

Ok, going to work on sump tomorrow I think if I get a chance. I am just having a few issues. From what I understand I want an intake with a sock filter on it, and in that first compartment that is where my skimmer will be set up. I understand the baffles, and the Fuge, more baffles and return pump area.

I just cant see a clear design showcasing the skimmer section. How does the intake work because I just see pictures of skimmers sitting there. Does it just randomly take available water, and output it to the same water that may not have made it into the skimmer pump? If this is the case am I better off making sure that all water runs through the skimmer and is then sent into its own compartment before going through the baffles to the fuge?

Not sure if I am wording all of this, but I hope one of you understand what I mean at 130am, lol.

Thank you

I just cant see a clear design showcasing the skimmer section. How does the intake work because I just see pictures of skimmers sitting there. Does it just randomly take available water, and output it to the same water that may not have made it into the skimmer pump?

Yes.

If this is the case am I better off making sure that all water runs through the skimmer and is then sent into its own compartment before going through the baffles to the fuge?

No. You can't make sure all the water runs through the skimmer -- you will flood your sump. The skimmer runs 24/7, and even though it is not filtering 100% of the water in your sump at any given time, because the water is constantly turning over, it does a good job of cleaning up the tank.

Perfect, Thank you. I have picked up the supplies to build the sump/refugium

Can someone look at this picture, what is that growing on the rock beside the snail. I am waiting to get some more live rock, so I havent forced the cycle with the shrimp as suggested yet. That snail is no longer in there, should I lose the shell? The fuzzy stuff is greyish, and looks like mold almost. Any ideas what it is, and how to get rid of it?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 186
Do you mean a sponge on the rock? As in maybe that branch sitting at roughly 1 o'clock to the mold looking crap? Cut it off and hope it goes away?

Ya, but im not sure what branch you are referring too.

And to be honest, im not sure how to get rid of them, most people like them. But if you want it to go away, i would try scraping it off.

Back