Where to buy live rock online?

HeyRobi

Reefing newb
Is there a good place to get live rock on the internet? How much should I expect to pay? My LPS wants 7.99/lb

Robi,
Where did you find rock at in Murfreesboro?
Around Chattanooga it goes for 13 bucks a pound.And since I'm in Murfreesboro quiet a bit I wouldnt mind checking that out.

At Petland, they have some pretty nice saltwater stuff too, compared to the other petstores around Murfreesboro.

I checked at petco and they wanted 9.99 lb but said they would price match.

Oh and Bifferwine I won the Skimmer you suggested on Ebay for 124. I should be getting it soon

Last edited:
Your from Murfreesboro, Tn?Well welcome fellow Tennessean.I live in Clarksville but did live in Nashville a few years back.So they finally have a store in Murfreesboro that sells saltwater stuff.

You just miss there sale at Liveaquaria.They had 45-50lbs of Fiji for $80,its back to $100 now.They are still a good place to order....btw their Lalo is the best stuff.I ordered some a while back,pretty nice.Saltycritter Biff linked to sells really,really good live rock also.I have some of there Uaniva,the best rocks I've ever seen.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been well taken care of so far. Especially by bifferwine she has given me lots of good advice along with others.

Yea the petland here has a pretty large saltwater department. Some of the advice I have gotten form them does not agree with what I have found here. But I am learning as I go. No fish so far I am very anxious for fish but realize it will be atleast next weekend before I can consider.

By the way I am a distributor for New Era, They are located on airport road in Clarksville. Small world!

Also If I buy the live rock locally do I have to go thru the whole curing process or just throw it in the tank?

Small world indeed,I live across from Gate 1(Jack Miller Blvd),right off of Airport Rd....just a hop,skip away from the airport.

Do you ever make it to Aquatic Critters?Sometimes they have good rocks.Nice store but ohhhh so expensive.

Also If I buy the live rock locally do I have to go thru the whole curing process or just throw it in the tank?

Yes and No.
Ask them how long they have been in there tank.Smell them too,if it smells fresh then you should be okay.If they smell like crap then to be on the safe side,let it fully cure.Either in the tank that doesn't have any livestock or in a separate container.

Not yet but I have tommorow off so I might swing by there and see what they got.

Also from what I can tell there are faily neat things growing on the rocks can you buy seeds or whaterver to make new and intresting things grow on the rock (hopefully that was not a dumb question! (Can ya tell I am a newbee))

Last edited:
when people talk about seeding rocks they mean taking live rocks and putting them on top of "dead rocks" The coralline should eventually spread to the "dead' rocks making them live.

Live rocks have the coralline and other creatures in them, while the dead most likely do not.

Or maybe when you say interesting things you are reffering to corals?

Live rock should have all sorts of critters on and in it. That's what makes it live. Since you don't have any fish yet (if I remember correctly), go ahead and put the live rock straight in your tank, and let it cure in there.

Oh and Bifferwine I won the Skimmer you suggested on Ebay for 124. I should be getting it soon

Please, call me Biff :D

The Aqua C Remora Pro? Good deal. It's an excellent skimmer. You won't be disappointed. I even ran that on my 240 gallon tank until I ordered a bigger one.

Back