Where to buy Live Rock

cwis24

Reefing newb
Hey guys

I need to purchase live rock for my tank

My local pets store is in the process of curing some but i have a feeling they are going to be pretty expensive.

I was curious if this was the best bet or do you guys suggest an online source ect...

Your local place is probably the easiest and most expensive way to get LR. If they are a good dealer then you should be able to get very good LR from them and have minimal die off when you place it in your new tank. When purchasing the LR from store you can also select the exact pieces that you want for shape and how porous it is (which is nice considering LR is sold by the pound). When purchasing online you will undoubtable experience a larger amount of die off when you do get the rock.

The choice is really up to you. I prefer spending the extra money to get the pieces that I like the look of and have hand picked. This of course starts to become very impractical depending on the size of the tank to be stocked. I hope this helps.

For base rock check out Hirocks.com they sell mined ancient reef rock that is farily dense so it is not suitable for upper reef unless you do some shaping and drilling. my system has 120 lbs of hirock base and 80 lbs of fugi for the upper portion. i will seed it with some internet ordered live rock, cured and pay the extra cost but limited to 3 small pieces to seed system. I have not located the out let for seeding rock yet so cant help there. hope this helps.

Live Rock

I went with my local shop (the are expensive but there service and quality is great)

I purchased about 45 pounds of Live Rock last night and set it up in my tank

It is looking good.

I just posted pics in the gallary

Back